4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problems with my 99 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Demonite23
1st Gear Member

Default Problems with my 99 GT

Ok guys here it is. About 4 days ago i go outside and turn my car on. It doesnt turn over. I attempt to about 3-4 more times and on the 4th time, after i hit the accelerator it goes. The rest of the day it was fine. 2 days later it does same thing, in the morning i turn it on and doesnt want to turn over. Hit the accelerator and it idles and im off on my way. No problems rest of the day. Here were it starts getting scary, well for me at least.

I went into the garage and tried to see if my car was being weird again. It was and i had to accelerate to get it started. Foot had to be down on the accelerator for the car to start. I let go off the accelerator after it starts and it automatically dies. Battery light and Service Engine Soon light turns on. I thought maybe my engine was really cold or something so i turned it on again and i held the accelarator for a few, either aroun 1000-2000 rpm. Nope, same thing. I let go, even slowly and the rpm gauge just drops down to 0 and the car turns off. Battery light and the Service Engine Soon light turn on. I dont think its the battery so im asking you guys to see what the problem is.

Thanks in advance guys and i appreciate you reading all this.

Alex
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Problems with my 99 GT

The car is turning (cranking) over..... it's just not running unless you put your foot in the gas eh.

Start with obvious stuff first, check to make sure your fuel switch in the trunk didn't get shut off. Take apart your IAC and give it a cleaning.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

it could be any number of things. i doubt its the battery (because it was cranking and turning on), i think something is F'd in the fuel delievery system. Be it pump, filter or sumpthin. good luck man.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Read my posts here:
https://mustangforums.com/m_382212/tm.htm

The same exact thing is currently happening to my car. I'm taking it into Ford tomorrow, I'll let you know what they say is wrong.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Demonite23
1st Gear Member

alright dude thanks a lot and keep me posted. How do you plan on getting it to run to the dealership if you need to keep the gas accelerated? I'm taking it to my mechanic wednesday and hes gonna hook it up to the computer to see whats up. Problem is i dont know how to get it there :-/
Old 02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

I dropped it off tonight. I was gonna tow it, but luckily I'm still at the stage where I can drive it, I haven't progressed to the non-driveability part yet. I guess if you were care and worked the pedals you could possibly keep the rpms up, provided your garage is close to home. I'll let you know what Ford thinks tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Gaspi101
3rd Gear Member

I am going to guess that it is the idle position sensor, or alternately, the neutral position sensor. Let us know!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Ford said it's one of three things:

1) Premium gasoline in the engine. (I've never put anything but 87 in it.)

2) My K&N air filter. (This is just absurd, she said these filters are known to cause this type of problem, which is utterly idiotic.)

3) My idle control valve.

She said I should take the car home, put the stock filter back on and then if it happens again its probably the idle control valve.

Thus, it IS the idle control valve, because if a simple performance air filter would cause a car to refuse to start and make the engine just click when you turned the key, no one's car would start. I'm not taking my filter off, so I guess I'll be replacing that valve. Does anyone know if that is difficult?

#edit
Nevermind, I'm not gonna expect help from here...three weeks ago I asked and got nothing. Gaspi101, you're the only one who suggested something worthwhile so thanks. Demonite, here's a link for info about that valve, something you might want to look into before taking it to a shop:
remove and clean iac
Old 02-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: YinYangStang

Ford said it's one of three things:

1) Premium gasoline in the engine. (I've never put anything but 87 in it.)

2) My K&N air filter. (This is just absurd, she said these filters are known to cause this type of problem, which is utterly idiotic.)

3) My idle control valve.

She said I should take the car home, put the stock filter back on and then if it happens again its probably the idle control valve.

Thus, it IS the idle control valve, because if a simple performance air filter would cause a car to refuse to start and make the engine just click when you turned the key, no one's car would start. I'm not taking my filter off, so I guess I'll be replacing that valve. Does anyone know if that is difficult?

#edit
Nevermind, I'm not gonna expect help from here...three weeks ago I asked and got nothing. Gaspi101, you're the only one who suggested something worthwhile so thanks. Demonite, here's a link for info about that valve, something you might want to look into before taking it to a shop:
remove and clean iac This is not a tech site. We are all just Mustang owners looking for some advice, but not all tech questions can be answered here. Sounds like you have a bad attitude, and need to get squared away before making any more admonishing remarks. You have asked a fairly detailed and technical question. Why would you expect an answer on this forum when there are only a few members?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:03 AM
steeda_exhaust
1st Gear Member

Demonite23
hows youre oil? when a 99/00 (i do not know about the 01+) is low on oil it will not stay running w/o you manually keeping the rpm's up.

YinYang
replacing the IAC is a walk in the park just like that artical says. i did mine, and if i can do it....

Quick Reply: Problems with my 99 GT