4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

inside my differential, take a look

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:43 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default inside my differential, take a look

Okay so I had to get my front brake rotors replaced and get my calipers worked on because of some front brake problems today.... its still in the shop until tomorrow because they need to take the axle off of my rear left wheel and differential to fix some axle seal between my left rear wheel and the axle, but to take the axle off the guy was having some trouble figuring out what to do about this S-clip. He said he has never seen if before and I think its from my 4.10's installed. I bought the car used, and I dont know anything about differentials or whats inside. So I think my guy needs to remove that S clip in there to get the axle off. I dont really know, can someone give me some information about this, so maybe I can pass it on. He should be done by tomorrow, but I'm curious about it too. What is that thing?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: inside my differential, take a look

I don't really know what it is or does but if he doesn't know either then definetly don't let him do anything to your car. JMO
Old 08-27-2007, 07:57 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

thats the clip for the limited slip. Open diffs, dont have that S clip. If im correct, it puts pressure on both sides of the clutch packs, giving even pressure to both wheels. To do a axle seal, you dont need to remove that. You need to take the pin out of the center of the carrier, push the axle in towards the center of the carrier, pull the C clip out with a magnet, then the axle will come right out.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM
qpHalcy0n

yep, there's 2 c- clips on either side, if you just pull those out the axles will slide right out.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 PM
doug0122
1st Gear Member

make sure they seat those c clips back in right though because ive seen some real heartbreaks when they slide out and destory your hopes and dreams
Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Take it somewhere else! If your mechanic doesn't know what that is and thinks he needs to take it out he defenantly doesn't know what he's doing!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Take it somewhere else! If your mechanic doesn't know what that is and thinks he needs to take it out he defenantly doesn't know what he's doing!
No kidding... Tell him to just refill the differential and TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE! Your mechanic doesn't have half a clue what he's doing.

Now, to get the axles out, pull one out as far as possible, go to the other side, and push it in as far as possible and he will be able to pull the c-clip off the axle. Slide the axle out.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Just remembr guys.....YOU mustremove or pull out sightly on the ABS sensors(inside of backing plates)in order for the axles to go in far enough to remove the C-clips..and if he doesn't know what an S clip does,,,,,buy all means run away ........yes, it applys pressure to the side gears and clutches...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doug0122

make sure they seat those c clips back in right though because ive seen some real heartbreaks when they slide out and destory your hopes and dreams
If they aren't in correctly the center pin won't go in........
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Take it somewhere else indeed. As stated, you have to take out the ABS sensors in order to get the axles to go in far enough to get the C-clips out. And before you do that, you have to take the pin out of the center of the carrier. If your mechanic does not know this, take your car and run away as fast as you can.

Quick Reply: inside my differential, take a look