4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

metal shavings in oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:54 AM
BatMobile00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: metal shavings in oil

Start looking for a motor. Sorry to bring the bad news. If you are on a budget, car-part.com should help you. Get one from an automatic car and put your flywheel on it. Generally speaking, less stress is put on motors with automatics.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Doomtroop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Most likely spun bearings. I had the same problem. My bearings were chewed to pieces and the pieces were in my oil. It was a total mess. The crankshaft was scratched up pretty good because of it. It started as a light ticking noise and progressively got worse the more I drove the car. Get your oil pressure checked to help diagnose it. Your timing equipment wouldnt really produce metal shavings unless the chains were somehow grinding against the aluminum heads (which is extremely unlikely, I dont know how that would even happen). If they were "slapping" it would be on the guides, which are plastic.Were themetal chipsreally shiny?

This is what my bearings looked like when I took them out. https://mustangforums.com/m_3718677/tm.htm Not trying to scare you. Definitely take it to a shop and get the oil pressure checked and have a pro look at it before you decide to start ripping things apart. Do you get that rattling noise all the time, regardless of engine temp?
What if it's makingthesmallrattling between 2000-3000 RPM's but I havn't found any bearing materials in my oil? Should I be worried? Ford can't tell me why it'smaking that noise either.. they only havetheories and I don't feel like paying 1000$ and up to have them look at the motor without having any guarantees as to finding what is wrong. Is there a way I could have a look at this by myself ??

I'm just trying to figure out a way to find out what's wrong with my car without having to pay abig amountof money. Iwill alsohave a lot of free time on myhandsthis week as I'm on vacation. I wouldn't mind taking the time to check it out myself but I just don't know how.

Please help me out guys, there must be someonehere that canpoint mein the right direction!!

Thanks,

Nick
Old 09-03-2007, 06:08 PM
derek537

ok so if it is spun bearings then how much work is it to replace? wouldnt i just drop the oil pan and take off the bottom part of the rod connector and put new bearings on the rods? anyone know any web sites that would direct me on how to tell if it is rod bearings and how to replace them? ive been told by alot of mechanics that it definatly isnt rod bearings.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

If its not rod bearings, what do they suggest it is?. Your pistons, rings and rods are not going to cause shavings unless your motor is detonating like crazy. You will need to tear down your motor to see spun bearings. Often times with spun bearings you will need to either have the crank replaced as well as the rod with the spun bearing, not fun. However, if your mechanically inclinded there are a few write-ups from people who have done it, although a new motor from a junk yard is probably far easier then tearing down your motor, having it machined and rebuilding it from scratch.

E.

ORIGINAL: derek537

ok so if it is spun bearings then how much work is it to replace? wouldnt i just drop the oil pan and take off the bottom part of the rod connector and put new bearings on the rods? anyone know any web sites that would direct me on how to tell if it is rod bearings and how to replace them? ive been told by alot of mechanics that it definatly isnt rod bearings.