4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Wierd smell coming through air vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Cody 96gt
1st Gear Member

Default Wierd smell coming through air vents

When i have the air on in my car and stopped at like a red light a wierd like gas smell comes through the vents. it only happens when the air is on and the car is ideling. Is it a manifold leak. Let me know.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wierd smell coming through air vents

A better descriptin than "weird" might help. What's it smell like? Sweet? ***? Oil? Hopefully not sweet *** oil.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:01 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

A better descriptin than "weird" might help. What's it smell like? Sweet? ***? Oil? Hopefully not sweet *** oil.
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Old 09-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Cody 96gt
1st Gear Member

Um its kinda like an exhaust smell. kinda like gas / oil. Itf you dont turn off the air at a long redlight it makes you feel awesome!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:36 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

If it smells like gas, it probably is gas...

I had the same problem, turned out the fuel line got a crack and was spraying a fine mist of fuel into the engine bay... that was not awesome. This was last year! My car was only two years old, wtf... Have someone look at the fuel line (top passenger side corner of the engine bay) while you turn the key to on (but not starting) to jump the fuel pressure, if it has a leak, it'll do it there.

Otherwise, if it smells like exhaust, it could just be exhaust being blown up to the front by wind, or an exhaust leak.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: Cody 96gt

Um its kinda like an exhaust smell. kinda like gas / oil. Itf you dont turn off the air at a long redlight it makes you feel awesome!
[/align][/align]Get the car checked out now, it sounds like you have a significantexhaust leak![/align][/align]What you describe could be the onset of carbon monoxide poisoning, and it's affects can be cummulative...[/align]
Old 09-03-2007, 08:25 AM
marcm94
1st Gear Member

That smell could be the mold in your accumulator. If the car does not drip from condensate a drain line is cloggged and the water vapor has built up. Mold or fungus begins to grow. At a stop light the refrigerant is not being pumped as quickly through the system and warms up ever so slightly. This allows the musty smell to reach your nose. After resuming your travels the coils freeze or cool more and smell disapears. Check the bottom of the car while you have the air on. If water is dripping, all is well. If not then you need to free up that drain and clean out the coil box area with a fungus/mold remover, usually found at Home Depot. Also look at the accumulator, it may beyond saving and need to be replaced, however I doubt it since while running all seems ok. Very common problem during hot humid conditions.
Good luck and I hope you don't have a serious exhaust leak, that is extremely dangerous.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcm94

That smell could be the mold in your accumulator. If the car does not drip from condensate a drain line is cloggged and the water vapor has built up. Mold or fungus begins to grow. At a stop light the refrigerant is not being pumped as quickly through the system and warms up ever so slightly. This allows the musty smell to reach your nose. After resuming your travels the coils freeze or cool more and smell disapears. Check the bottom of the car while you have the air on. If water is dripping, all is well. If not then you need to free up that drain and clean out the coil box area with a fungus/mold remover, usually found at Home Depot. Also look at the accumulator, it may beyond saving and need to be replaced, however I doubt it since while running all seems ok. Very common problem during hot humid conditions.
Good luck and I hope you don't have a serious exhaust leak, that is extremely dangerous.
+1
I had this on a GM car although it was not too bad.
Just a sour, stinky kind of *dirty body smell*.
I got a can of this A/C box deoderizer stuff, sprayed it into the air box via the drip hole and the stink went away.
It's like a foam spray that kills mold.

I got mine at a GM dealership.

Like everyone else says if you suspect fuel/exhaust PLEASE get it fixed IMMEDIATELY!
Extremely dangerous stuff CO and or fuel on a hot motor is!