4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

groaning noise from what i think is rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Twogunsblazin
1st Gear Member

Default groaning noise from what i think is rear suspension.

hey guys after fixin my exhaust up for inspection, i hear this loud groaning sound coming from the back end of my car. I think maybe i jacked it up wrong, or left it up too long. I have no clue, but it worries me because im afraid i mightve bent my frane or something crazy like that. if anyone has or had a similar problem, please help!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: groaning noise from what i think is rear suspension.

By fixing your exhaust up I assume you mean putting your cats back on? I did that too, though I have the Bassani midpipe which allows me to swap between the cats and O/R legs. When I did mine for inspection I just slapped em on there and it rattled and squeeked beyond belief. I really didnt care that much though since they were coming off right after. But yea, if its not lined up properly itll make some strange noises. I say go back under and make sure nothing is rubbing or hitting anything. Also check to make sure there is enough clearance around the piping. If its too close to something it will hit it since the exhuast does move around a little.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:06 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: groaning noise from what i think is rear suspension.

ORIGINAL: Fizzics Boy

By fixing your exhaust up I assume you mean putting your cats back on? I did that too, though I have the Bassani midpipe which allows me to swap between the cats and O/R legs. When I did mine for inspection I just slapped em on there and it rattled and squeeked beyond belief. I really didnt care that much though since they were coming off right after. But yea, if its not lined up properly itll make some strange noises. I say go back under and make sure nothing is rubbing or hitting anything. Also check to make sure there is enough clearance around the piping. If its too close to something it will hit it since the exhuast does move around a little.
+1 but ive never heard of it making a groaning (deep sound i assume, unless you have flows) but more of a metallic pinging or knocking.

i seriously doubt you bent your frame. youd bend an axle before you would a frame. +1 on going back under and if there is nothing wrong with the exhaust.. i wouldnt worry about unless it does it with your post-emissions setup.