4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

can't get fuel filter off

Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
thunderstruck01GT

Default can't get fuel filter off

so i had my new fuel filter all ready, and igot can't get the 2 ends of the fuel filter off the fuel line, i took off the 2 clips that help hold it on,i can twist it and it moves inside the fuel line, but the f***er won't come out ha, is there something im not aware off?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM
jlong00
1st Gear Member

Default RE: can't get fuel filter off

You'll need to buy a fuel filter tool. Contrary to what Haynes and other technical sources say, the fuel lines don't just "slip" off the filter. The tools are available at most auto parts stores and run around five bucks.

Have fun.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:55 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

itll run you about 5 bucks.. and when you get the tool inside the line.. just twist the tool and push out while pulling the filter the opposite direction. dont be directly underneath it because fuel WILL spill out and you dont want that in your eyes (blind)

also, dont forget to relieve the fuel system pressure!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
thunderstruck01GT

thanks, i thought the bitch just slipped off, the thing is so heavily strapped,i didn't think a mag from a 9 mil would take it off
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM
thunderstruck01GT

o btw, how do i relieve the fuel system pressure? im fairly new to working on cars, but im adventurous and i wanna learn
Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

You'll wanna use the smaller dark grey one<~ clicky el linky, and u can get them from anywhere, not just ebay

to relieve the pressure, on top of your fuel rail is a small schrader valve (what you have on your tires and a/c lines), get a flat head and a rag, put the rag over the head of the screwdriver and depress the valve and fuel will squirt out, wait for it to die down and now you've relieved pressure (its not a lot of fuel, but the rag helps to catch a lot of it from hitting your face)
Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

You'll wanna use the smaller dark grey one<~ clicky el linky, and u can get them from anywhere, not just ebay

to relieve the pressure, on top of your fuel rail is a small schrader valve (what you have on your tires and a/c lines), get a flat head and a rag, put the rag over the head of the screwdriver and depress the valve and fuel will squirt out, wait for it to die down and now you've relieved pressure (its not a lot of fuel, but the rag helps to catch a lot of it from hitting your face)
or you could disconnect the fuel cut off in the trunk and relieve it that way... either way when i did it the first time i got gasoline all over my head and within 1 inch of my eye.. i lucked out... could have went blind. i smelt like gasoline (not a bad thing) for 3 days.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
yuengling910
1st Gear Member

or you could disconnect the fuel cut off in the trunk and relieve it that way... either way when i did it the first time i got gasoline all over my head and within 1 inch of my eye.. i lucked out... could have went blind. i smelt like gasoline (not a bad thing) for 3 days.
i did it by using the switch in the trunk. i think i then started the car and let it use all of the remaining pressure in the lines till it died. make sure you do this or you will still have pressure in the line.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

This one works pretty well and almost all parts stores have it(most common)....use the small end...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlong00

You'll need to buy a fuel filter tool. Contrary to what Haynes and other technical sources say, the fuel lines don't just "slip" off the filter. The tools are available at most auto parts stores and run around five bucks.

Have fun.
LMFAO @ Haynes being a technical source...

lol.. not making fun of you... had a haynes manual for my first truck (99 dodge dakota 3.9 5 speed) it was the worst 15 bucks ive ever spent.. i was lucky to be able to change the air filter with their instructions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't get fuel filter off