4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions about ecu's and programmers for mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:44 AM
2jzlex

Default questions about ecu's and programmers for mustangs

Please have a thorough knowledge of how ecu's and tuning components work b4 you post here. thanks.

Hey guys, I am trying to help a friend with tuning his 98 4.6l. He has the basic mods like intake, some better ignition upgrades, very simple stuff. Tuning is nothing new to me for imports and have done everything from rotaries to my new toy the 2jzgte lexus dealing with MAP systems. Anyway, my questions deal specifically with the MAF based system that the mustangs use. Now, when tuning with forced induction and non-distributor systems, most everything must be done with some sort of high end piggyback or stand alone that can only be accessed through the fuel and timing tables, that must be either wired in or replaced with a stand alone( not to mention the use ofa wideband). So, how versatile are the MAF systems in mustangs? Do you need a stand alone ecu, or will the Diablo programmer(or something of the like)have the capabilities to alter a wide varitey of settings that the MAF can simply accomodate? I highly doubt that a handheld programmer can make that large of a difference by simply plugging into the OBDII connection. If it came with the software for further access into the system, that is a different story. What I'm asking is, if I wanted to tune it myself, how far would one of these programmers get me, with or without the software? Or, would it be best to just go with a fully programmable ecu? thanks.