4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Area calculation of MAF screen...who's removed their screen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:36 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Area calculation of MAF screen...who's removed their screen?

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

...but removing the screen causing to much air flow and setting the code, the throttle body regulated the air flow so removing the screen cannot increase air flow since the throttle body regulates it not the screen. Even at WOT the throttle body is the restriction(this is why removing the screen does not free up any horse power).

If this were true, a higher flowing muffler wouldn't increase exhaust flow either.
higher flowing muffler?? i thought they were all for sound... lol

a higher flowing muffler doesnt apply because youre replacing a stock "Restrictive" muffler with a completely different design. What they are talking about is if the "restriction" (screen if you will) is even needed in a closed system that will have the same design and if this screen affects the air flow in the tube. Im pretty sure it does provide MINIMAL amount of restriction.. but unless youre F/I i doubt its enough to free up any amount of power. Not to mention, everything in our car was put there for a reason.. we just need to figure out why its there and if it is needed/conflicts with our application/plans for our stangs.
Yes, changing the design of a muffler can increase it's flow capability, but so can things like changes in pipe diameter, changes in the type and size of any other restrictions (just like the screen in the MAF), etc. And no, mufflers aren't just about sound. It's possible to muffle sound without restricting flow.
Yes you can change pipe diameter and size of restrictions.. but thats not what they were doing. They were calculating a possible restriction (the screen) and seeing how much it actually did restrict flow... the intake tube wasnt made bigger, the screen didnt grow in size. it was a simple calculation of the area the MAF screen took up.

Can you say beating a dead horse?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:44 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

leave it in,it looks like it would stop a chunk of **** from getting in an D'bo'ing your maf if your filter got a hole in it.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

If this were true, a higher flowing muffler wouldn't increase exhaust flow either

They don;t, less restrictive mufflers decrease back pressure allowing more mass air flow not an increase in velocity.Actuall the flowvelocity probably decreases as a result of larger pipes (2.25 to 2.5) and the less restrictive mufflers
Old 09-07-2007, 01:11 AM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

Naw dawg,that screen gives your CAI the backpressure it needs [8D]
Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Well, I emailed the guys at tunable inductions, I am installing the #5 system. They design their system to run without the screen; claiming its purpose is only to keep debris out of the motor. Ill install it without the screen and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

Well, I emailed the guys at tunable inductions, I am installing the #5 system. They design their system to run without the screen; claiming its purpose is only to keep debris out of the motor. Ill install it without the screen and see what happens.
[/align][/align]This one statement makes me question what they might actually know about contemporary intake systems--the #1 reason why it's NOT there is to "keep debris out of the motor"--I mean (and aside from the fact that automobiles existed for 75 years without screens after the air filter), just exactly what "debris" do they think the Ford engineers expected to make it through the intake snorkel, and air box, and filter and then into the motor?[/align][/align]Their saying "It's not needed with our system because of our superior design which delivers a decidedly laminar flow to the MAF" would inspire much more confidence...[/align]
Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with their pov. I believe its for "smoothing out" the air flow. But their intake doesn't incorporate it in the design, and I have the intake. So ill leave it out per their directions and see what happens. And yeah, what the hell would pass through the filter that wouldn't pass through the screen?