4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering the Stang

Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
PistonsFan102
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowering the Stang

I think its time to lower the Stang because I look how much better lowered cars look. I am not much of tech guy so is there anything else I need to get besides new springs. I like the way H & R springs look. And much much worse is the ride really once it is lowered? Any suggestions would be geatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:18 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering the Stang

if your lowering more than say 1.5in than you will need c/c plates to get the alignment. also much lower than that you will eventualy need shocks and struts as the stock ones will give out quicker. i have teh H&R sport springs with stock shocks/struts and it rides a bit more stiff than stock stuff but the body roll went away. fair trade off if you ask me. i also have the MM c/c plates.

im not happy with my drop, i think its because i reused the stock iso's. the front is a tad bit higher, im not sure if this is how its suppost to be or not. im thinking about taking the front iso's out.

hope that helped.

edit - i should refrase that, you MIGHT need c/c plates if droping 1.5in or more. just watch for tire wear. supersports or sportlines will most likely need the plates.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
fudleyd

If I were you I would go ahead and swap out for some better shocks/struts too. It is a great time to do this as you will have everything apart already anyway and it will save time in the long run!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

If you have more than 20k on stock struts and shocks, replace them, immediatly, if you dont plan on any racing, just the look go with sportlines, they slam em on the ground
Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Fobra
Banned

I did coil overs and GR-2's - rides better than stock and handles like a **** - I had to get CC plates _ YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR anything more than 1"-1.25" drop. Im happy with it, it has a little more noise at low speeds (on bumpy *** roads). But i did the whole deal shocks and all for 450 bucks - for all four. (removed the rear isolator and got rear shocks) awesome ride
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm guess I'm the only person running a 2" drop spring and not wearing tires uneven at all

Crazy
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
andy98gt
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know where i can get some sweet shocks/struts a nice price. Thats the last thing I need to put it all together. I got Springs, CC plates, and cobra front brake conversion.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Ahnial8u
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the alignmen I lowered mine about 2 months ago and didn't align it now my tires sre SHOT!!! Should have spent the $69.99 [:@]
Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andy98gt

Anyone know where i can get some sweet shocks/struts a nice price.
Depends on how good of shocks/struts you want Do you want adjustables or no? You can go as cheap as KYB GR-2's like me, for $140 shipped, or Gabriel's from Autozone for $140 with a lifetime warranty, or as expensive as $400 for an adjustable setup.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

if your lowering more than say 1.5in than you will need c/c plates to get the alignment. also much lower than that you will eventualy need shocks and struts as the stock ones will give out quicker. i have teh H&R sport springs with stock shocks/struts and it rides a bit more stiff than stock stuff but the body roll went away. fair trade off if you ask me. i also have the MM c/c plates.

im not happy with my drop, i think its because i reused the stock iso's. the front is a tad bit higher, im not sure if this is how its suppost to be or not. im thinking about taking the front iso's out.

hope that helped.

edit - i should refrase that, you MIGHT need c/c plates if droping 1.5in or more. just watch for tire wear. supersports or sportlines will most likely need the plates.
I concur...when I had my old 02 GT, I ran the HR sport springs, I thought the front was higher as well, but the front fender is actually cut higher than the back. The car was level when I measured the fenders to the ground, but I still changed them out to the SS's for a more raked look. I love the steeda sports as well, but they are a bit higher than the HR SS's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering the Stang