4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing The Thermostat Crossover

Old 09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Default Removing The Thermostat Crossover

car is an 03gt, aluminum crossover intake manifold

ok from my previous post ive narrowed the problem down to hopefully a gasket underneath the thermostat crossover.

two questions.

1) how do i remove the entire thermostat housing crossover piece? it APPEARS all i have to do is remove a hose off my intake (to give access), remove the radiator hose, remove the 2 long bolts where the thermostat is, remove 4 bolts on a bracket that supports the alternator, and remove 1 bolt on the left side near the temp sensor. then it should just come off and hopefully its just a gasket problem. is there anything special i dont know about and need to know before removing the crossover? there are 4+ bolts that are upside down and im hoping they arent connected to te intake manifold, do they just hold the gasket (and thick, almost plastic looking thing) to the bottom of the crossover?

2) what is this gasket called...a part number, anything? neither oreillys or autozone can come up with a part for me. gonna check a ford dealership tomorrow but i dont know if they will have it on hand...i think most of the stuff they order and i cant wait another week with my motor spraying AF all over the place.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6297594xc9.jpg

red = bolts and hoses it looks like i have to remove, is that all? the green arrows is the piece i want to remove (its one piece that runs along the back of the alternator). and you can see the upside down bolt on the left side between the green arrow and the second red arrow.

if anyones taken this off please help, dont speculate if it should or shouldnt come off. i cant afford to be without my car cuz of work and i dont wanna **** anything up tearing into something ive never worked on. thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing The Thermostat Crossover

i dont think you can just remove the cross over.. if you what to remove the house for the thermostat. release radiator pressure by removing fill cap(when cold) the remove the two bolts i labled 1 and 2 in the pic i posted for you yesterday. and after you remove those two you will see the o ring and the thermostat. if you want to remove the manifold i suggest buying a haynes manual.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

You dont need to remove the crossover to change the thermostat
Old 09-06-2007, 11:01 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

if you are removing the crossover... it is part of the intake manifold.. the whole manifold has to go....
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

There are six bolts that hold the aluminum crossover to the plastic. Probably going to have to remove the intake. I believe they were 8 or 10mm. But if all you want to do is change the thermostat, just relieve the coolant system pressure and remove the two bolts on the water neck and the thermostat is right there
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

car is an 03gt, aluminum crossover intake manifold

ok from my previous post ive narrowed the problem down to hopefully a gasket underneath the thermostat crossover.

two questions.

1) how do i remove the entire thermostat housing crossover piece? it APPEARS all i have to do is remove a hose off my intake (to give access), remove the radiator hose, remove the 2 long bolts where the thermostat is, remove 4 bolts on a bracket that supports the alternator, and remove 1 bolt on the left side near the temp sensor. then it should just come off and hopefully its just a gasket problem. is there anything special i dont know about and need to know before removing the crossover? there are 4+ bolts that are upside down and im hoping they arent connected to te intake manifold, do they just hold the gasket (and thick, almost plastic looking thing) to the bottom of the crossover?

2) what is this gasket called...a part number, anything? neither oreillys or autozone can come up with a part for me. gonna check a ford dealership tomorrow but i dont know if they will have it on hand...i think most of the stuff they order and i cant wait another week with my motor spraying AF all over the place.

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6297594xc9.jpg

red = bolts and hoses it looks like i have to remove, is that all? the green arrows is the piece i want to remove (its one piece that runs along the back of the alternator). and you can see the upside down bolt on the left side between the green arrow and the second red arrow.

if anyones taken this off please help, dont speculate if it should or shouldnt come off. i cant afford to be without my car cuz of work and i dont wanna **** anything up tearing into something ive never worked on. thanks
the gasket for it is the intake manifold gasket as well..... unfortunately
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

yeah i just went out and had another look and i saw that its bolted to the intake manifold from the bottom (which is ****ing retarded) so the only way to get to the gasket appears to be taking the intake manifold off completely.

so much for any hopes on fixing this cheap...im gonna have some strong words with the dealer tomorrow cuz im not ****in paying to have my motor torn apart when it came to me like this. gotta start finding a repair shop in the mean time i guess.

i do not need to change the thermostat, the leak is between the crossover and the intake manifold. thanks for the help but i see no easy or cheap way of doing this now that i see how this thing is put together.

again thx for the help i need to leave this to someone who knows what they are doing, i cant disassemble an engine that far and get it back together in one piece.