4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please Help!! Newb here!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 AM
helpimnew12

Default Please Help!! Newb here!!

Hi everyone. I have a problem with the wheel on my 02 mustang. I can turn a wrench but pretty much have no experience doing anything so please bear with me (I may not have any idea what anything is called). Recently I noticed my drivers front tire was a little low. The psi was around 24 with the rest of the tires at 33. I filled it up to 33 and a couple of days later it was back down again. I could hear a hissing coming from the valve stem when the tire was at 33 psi. I bought a new valve core?? (I think, the inner part, the actual valve part), let all the air out of the tire, replaced the valve core, and started to fill it back up. As I did so, the entire housing which the valve core is in came out of the valve stem and in my hands when touched it, letting all of the air out of the tire.I can't seem to find my wheel lock key anywhere, so as it standscurrently my car isjacked up in my garage, I have no air, and can'tget the wheel off. I tried coating the outside of the valve(pictured) with rubber cement from a tire patchkit, andput itback in and let it dry with the same result as before(it came back out). I also tried some random silicone/rubber sealant I had lying around, same thing. So my question is, what should I do next? I ordered a new wheel lock. What, if anything, can I use to get the valve back into the valve stem and stay there? Or is there a possibility there's a hole in the actual tire and the valve stem isn't even my problem? Sorry for the extremely long post but i'm stuck and I really need some help, and didn't want to leave anything out. PLEASE HELP!! Here's a few pics of whats going on.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:36 AM
militaryjag05
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Please Help!! Newb here!!

well my first ? is have you ever seen a full valve stem before it was inserted? second ? if yes to first is is the valve stem complete? valve stems have to be replace from teh inside of the rim. i used to work for a tire shop and if you heard the noise comning from the valve stem then that is prolly your #1 proble. as for the whell lock get a piece of clay, push it into the lock part of the rim, then take it to a shop to see if they have one that is a match and ask themt o borrow it. a lot of the shops i have been to have extras just laying around from when people changes wheels and they keep them for these reason. let me know how you fair out.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:57 AM
derek537

once you get your wheel lock key take off the wheel and take it to a tire shop and tell them you need a new valve stem. its really cheap and if your lucky they may do it for free
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM
helpimnew12

Thanks for the help guys. To answer your question, no i've never seen a complete valve stem before. So bascially what you're saying is that i need a new valve stem? Thanks a lot for the responses
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
02ToRcHgTSLP
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the new valve stem and for the lock that really sucks, how can you lose that its very important.... maybe check out ur lug nuts and lock and go to advanced auto and buy another set and hopefully it would be the same to take the old ones off. I don't know how those locks work but if it works thats awsome.