4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guys...I need help! FIXED!!! JUST THE BELT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Guys...I NEED HELP...FAST! PLEASE!

OK BIG UPDATE!

I just took off my belt, and it looks like part of the belt has been cut, and sliced in half along the belt. A section of the belt's grooves are missing completely as if they were torn off.

I started the car without the belt, no noise at all. So that rules out internal problems, exhaust leaks, and other things.

I also spun the water pump and I heard nothing, nor was it difficult to spin or resistance at all. I'm starting to think thats not the problem, but that it's just the belt.

Heres a video explaining.

>>>>>>>http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...t=Video008.flv<<<<<<<<<
Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Throw a new belt in there and see what happens.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Mark...thats the plan.

My neighbor, who's pretty knowledgeable on basic repairs, said that he had that noise once when his belt was sheared itbent a blade on one of the fans that sit under the alternator or ACpulley thatcool it off.

I'm not sure, but do Mustangs even have those mini fans? Either way, I'm on my way out to buy a new belt.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

I believe there is a fanwithin the alternator, not sure about the ac compressor. Either way I doubt that happened. The alternator is pretty well shielded. Sounds like the belt just wore out, broke apart, and made a ton of noise, and since it was dark you couldn't tell. The new belt will be the test. BTW, let us know what kind you get. I picked up a Poly Cog from Advance Auto Parts, Im curious how it will work.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

That still doesnt explain the coolant leak.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Have fun putting the belt on. New belts are a PAIN IN THE *** to put on, cause they aren't stretched, and really tough to get on the pulleys. Not impossible, but it's easier if you have one person holding the ratchet on the tensioner and one person putting the belt on.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:07 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

That still doesnt explain the coolant leak.
Agreed..look closely, it has the old PLASTIC coolant crossover intake...its prob cracked!...thats for sure the exact area of leakage with they crack..I should now,,,mine cracked shortly after I bought it ....installed a new ford aluminum version ...
Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

OK guys, I fixed it. It was just the belt slipping and slapping the pulley. Thanks for all the help!

BTW: The belt was really easy to put on...I just got it all around the other pulleys except the PS, and then I just pulled the tensioner with the ratchet and slipped it around. It took less than 3 minutes. [&:]

It actually does explain the coolant leak. When the old belt was slipping, it wasn't spinning the water pump. It was bypassing it. Thats why it was making a sound. And we all know that if the water pump ain't spinnin, the engine gets really hot and eventually overheats. I was opening her up going up a hill...and I'll bet thats where it overheated. It's not a problem....I ran the car with water in it for a few miles, and if it was cracked, it would be leaking again....no leaks.

Thanks again guys. This one turned out to be ALOT easier on my wallet and bodythan I thought.

Now I just need to figure out WHY the belt turned that way, and if it will happen again ever.

And Autozone had 3 different brand of belts for my car....the Gatorback...or whatever it was....was the most expensive and I guess the best....then they had a $32.00 one, and a $25.00 one...I got the middle...$32.00 and out the door.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:31 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Have fun putting the belt on. New belts are a PAIN IN THE *** to put on, cause they aren't stretched, and really tough to get on the pulleys. Not impossible, but it's easier if you have one person holding the ratchet on the tensioner and one person putting the belt on.
I had NO problem what-so-ever putting a new belt on my car...
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah, Ive never had a problem changing a belt either. Glad it was only the belt.

Quick Reply: Guys...I need help! FIXED!!! JUST THE BELT!