4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guys...I need help! FIXED!!! JUST THE BELT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default Guys...I need help! FIXED!!! JUST THE BELT!

UPDATE IS 1ST POST ON PAGE 2.

SoI come home from our school's first football game and dance. We won 17 to 2, so HUGE victory, then we went and had a sweet dance afterwards. On the way hom, I was pushin my car a little, but the most I hit was just 5900rpm and like 70mph.

I had the radio blasting, so I didn't hear anything really...but then I get home, and turn down the radio, and as I'm entering the driveway, I hear what sounds like a horse galloping...galap galap galap...it was pretty loud...and I got really worried. The sound went faster whenI reved a little, and it seems to go with the engine speed.

I have NO CLUE what it is. I popped the hood, and I see what looks like my car overheated. There was coolant on the block, and some on the hoses. And then I started the car, and I was looking for a jumping spark plug, but everything was fine. The only thing I really noticed was that the belt was moving side to side as it spun. Like looking from the top of the alternator pulley, it would be moving side to side as it spun.

It's late, I'm beat, but I need to know WTF is causing this sound...I really don't want my dad to find out because he looks at every problem with my car as another reason to sell it....which he may be right. [&o]

PLEASE GUYS....I'M DESPERATE....HELP!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:51 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Guys...I NEED HELP...FAST! PLEASE!

was there any smoke er n e thing? your belt was proble moving from side to side because it got coolant on it and was slipping a little. as for the sound i dont know where was it coming from? the engine or under the car?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:56 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

It sounds like it's coming from one of the pulleys...because I've heard cars with normal ticking in the valve covers or crankcase, but thats not it.

It almost sounds like an exhaust leak....or something that would repeat at that speed...as if it were part of the belt hitting a pulley and making the sound....I have no idea.

I'll post a video soon....maybe that will help.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 AM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

u say it increases with revving, maybe its part of your exhaust. something came loose maybe, who knows.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

most exhaust leaks iv heared have been more like a tick or hiss kinda, never heard a gallop haha. yea post a vid im sure we can figure it out

EDIT:the fact that you have coolant all over is wat raises my eyebrow to something.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:27 AM
redmaro1
2nd Gear Member

Over heating, coolant spilled, your belt moving all over and that sound your hearing, im pretty sure its yourwater pump.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Funny you mention water pump. It sounds like thats exactly where it's coming from...

Heres the video....sorry about the crappy cell phone quality....it's all I got for tonight. I'll take better pics too later.
>>>>>>>>> http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...t=Video006.flv<<<<<<<<<<

Here is where I think it overheated....

Heres the coolant leaking down the block...I know it's that color....my mechanic said it's OK.

Water pump?
Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 AM
redmaro1
2nd Gear Member

Im pretty sure it is.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 AM
redmaro1
2nd Gear Member

Your water pump pulley bearings probably went out, usually the water pump will start to leak coolant.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:44 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Hmmm....after how long?

Is it necessary to replace the entire water pump? What is the best/cheapest pump I can buy, and can I install it myself with ramps or jackstands?

Quick Reply: Guys...I need help! FIXED!!! JUST THE BELT!