4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A/C Troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Default A/C Troubles...

Ok... So my A/C compressor went out... either that or the clutch... but it went out... first I lost the A/C... then a few days later the pulley froze up on me, I bought a Reman. compressor from Auto Zone last night (only one they had), and replaced it.... I also bought the Sub-Zero Re-Chill kit.... problem is now the A/C is not taking the refrigerant! I connect everything, car running on max A/C, open the valve for the can... and nothing! It seems the refrigerant meant to go in the car likes to stay in the can.... question is WHY???? I did NOT replace the dryer... my buddy is a heavy equipment mech. and said I really shouldnt need it, said it is only a formallity I dont need to worry about... could this be the problem?? anybody ever use this crap before?? I got a job interview tomarro and would prefer to NOT have swamp back! LMAO...
[sm=headbang.gif]
Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 AM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Default RE: A/C Troubles...

First thing you DO need to replace the dryer and orfice tube if you open your AC system to any atmosphere like replacing the compressor or a line or o-ring. Second thing you should have do but not required is to flush the entire system. If you don't flush the system, you have to measure the amount of oil that was in the old compressor and in the old drier, then add the amount of oil that was in the compressor and drier to the new compressor. After you install the oil, you need to rotate the compressor clutch 10 times or so to circulate the oil through the compressor. Now you can install the new compressor, dryer, and orfice tube. After thats all installed you Have to pull vaccuum on your entire AC system with a electric vaccuum pump or air powered vaccuum pump. Also do pull the vaccuum, you have to have a set of r134a guages. After you have the vaccuum pulled down for around 2 hours (guage reading shoud be around -28 in/hg), you can turn you vaccuum pump off and make shure your system holds its vaccuum. If it holds overnight, you can begin charging the system. If it doesn't hold vaccuum, you have a loose fitting or bad o-ring somewhere. If your charging your system, find out how much refrigerant your system holds (I think its around 2 lbs.) and start filling with some r134a freon. AC isn't something to just throw together without doing it correctly. If you use too much oil you'll overheat your compressor and cause failure, too little oil and you won't get enough circulation in the system. Too much freon, and you agian will overheat your system, and too little your system won't be as efficient. I recomend if you don't have the tools, take it to a shop and have it don't right or else you'll be going through compressors like crazy. If you have any other questions, just let me know. I do ALOT of AC systems, so I'm pretty familiar with AC setups.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

Well i found out my problem... had a blown fuse! CobraStangs thread got me thinking about fuses... the clutch wasnt engaging... therefore no A/C... therefore no freon leavin the can! Got it working now, blows ICE cold! it's like a FREEZER! May have been ghetto fabber together.... but it works! Ill worry about it later if the compressor dropp's the kids off at the pool again!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

I hope the new compressor at least had oil in it. If not then it won't be long. I think they come with oil already in them though.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

The subzero rechill kit has an oil charge with the refrigant charge If i remember correctly, so he should be alrite. One thing you should have done is have the AC system vacuumed to remove all traces of moisture which is important.