4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Irregular starting issues...frustrating!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
darlingnikkiGT

Default Irregular starting issues...frustrating!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem with their stang or has any idea what could cause this...

I have an '03 gt (manual) and it doesn't always like to start like it should. Maybe one out of every five times I start it it does this - sounds like it's struggling to start. It will alwaysstart, but it cranks for a while (sounds like it can't get fuel?). I brought it back to the dealership and they said there's actually nothing wrong and it's because the car is fuel injected...they told me I need to leave the key at position four to get power to the car, let it sit for a few seconds giving it enough time to get fuel to fire up. Problem is, I do that and it still does this, but it's pretty inconsistant and I can't figure out why it does it sometimes and not others. Getting kind of frustrated - bringing it back to Ford after the weekend but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this issue. I don't know enough to diagnose it as a starter issue, or an alternator or even the fuel pump...any help would be appreciated.

oh yeah, just picked this car up- 25k miles and sat a lot...was this guys weekend car or something...maybe because it's getting driven so much now? Who knows...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Irregular starting issues...frustrating!

ORIGINAL: darlingnikkiGT

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem with their stang or has any idea what could cause this...

I have an '03 gt (manual) and it doesn't always like to start like it should. Maybe one out of every five times I start it it does this - sounds like it's struggling to start. It will alwaysstart, but it cranks for a while (sounds like it can't get fuel?). I brought it back to the dealership and they said there's actually nothing wrong and it's because the car is fuel injected...they told me I need to leave the key at position four to get power to the car, let it sit for a few seconds giving it enough time to get fuel to fire up. Problem is, I do that and it still does this, but it's pretty inconsistant and I can't figure out why it does it sometimes and not others. Getting kind of frustrated - bringing it back to Ford after the weekend but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this issue. I don't know enough to diagnose it as a starter issue, or an alternator or even the fuel pump...any help would be appreciated.

oh yeah, just picked this car up- 25k miles and sat a lot...was this guys weekend car or something...maybe because it's getting driven so much now? Who knows...
Fuel filter has probably never been changed on it. If it has to fight a clogging filter on start up that's part of the problem. Change that first then see if it helped.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM
SlvrOhTwoGeeTee
2nd Gear Member

Mine does the same thing, but it's more like 1 in 10 starts for me. It turns but wont fire then I stop and give it a few seconds and try again and it starts fine. I haven't tried the fuel filter yet but that is a good idea. For that matter though, where is the fuel filter? Is it attached to the frame under the car somewhere, or does it only have the in tank one?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM
LilDerk86
1st Gear Member

same problem here with my 2003 gt with 46k miles.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:51 PM
darlingnikkiGT

Should be underneath the driver side door on the frame rail.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: darlingnikkiGT

Should be underneath the driver side door on the frame rail.
actually, depends on the year. 99-04 between the gas tank and axle. I don't know about 05+
Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM
nuffboost

i have the same problem on my 02 gt,changed plugs and fuel filter(located above rear axle)and it did not solve the problem.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM
darlingnikkiGT

hmmm....any ideas? or are you just dealing with it now? I'll change out the filter this weekend and see what happens...I was hoping it wasn't anything more than that but might be..
Old 09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
nuffboost

realease the fuel preasure on the fuel rail,and wear gogles when you change the filter,because fuel will drop on your face,i hope that changing the filter works 4 you,i was told that it could be the one way valve on the return line it may not be holding pressure
Old 09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
darlingnikkiGT

changed the filter and so far so good...