4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

im buring so much oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:50 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Default RE: im buring so much oil.

Mine was doing the same thing, 1 qt every 400 to 500 miles, no smoke, no oil in coolent or coolent in oil, no leaks. it turned out to be the PCV, a 3 dollar part. Changing it also stopped the pinging on my 93 octane SCT tune as well.
It turned out to be that the thing was stuck open so the engine was sucking a little oil down the intake (not enough to notice any smoke) and that is where the oil was going. It did this at 32K miles.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Stonewall83
1st Gear Member

i have no idea what that smoke is
my race engine was built with no valve seals and it puffs evertime i mat it coming out of a corner?? maybe that could be it like a cut or knicked valve seal?? im not sure if these motors even have valve seals lol....
to check your plugs.............. unbolt your coil packs there are 8 of them and pull it out. the plug is underneath them. while your in there you might as well change em too they're cheap
Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Blue smoke= oil burning Black smoke= super rich White smoke= Normal or lean, depending on how much smoke. Your valve seals may be going, but if you havent seen any blue smoke I do not know why. Maybe you just didnt fill it all the way last change.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1
I have to disagree here. The level you want in the pan iin a perfect world is at the full mark on the dipstick with the engine running. Since you can't get an accurate reading with it running, you gotta shut it off, but check it right away while it's hot and you have some oil up top still.

That said, it's not that critical. It's better to be slightly low on oil (like zero to 1 qt range) than to be overfull.
Boy, I don't know where you learned or where taught that GROSSLY WRONG information, your asking for big time probems following your logic. I'm glad I don't let you change or check my oil.. Good god.

We were taught in auto mechanics school 101 to check oil when it is cold because YOU WANT all the oil in tha pan when you check it so you know it is full.

If the car calls for 5 QTs of oil with the filter when you put it in, the car will register FULL on the dipstick when the engine is COLD, that is where you want it. You don't want it higher or lower,
NOT how you mention.

Your logic makes NO Sence because if you want it full when the engine is running, then it will be over the full mark on the dipstick when it is cold, then you go and say it is better to be a zero or 1 qt too low then be over full, well I got news for you, you won't be low following your logic, you'll be over full.
That is a good way to blow soimething up because you got too much oil in it causing too much pressure and foaming in the oil.
As I said, if the car calls for 5 qts with the filter, it will register FULL when COLD, you want nothing more, nothing less.

Have you never read the warnings not to put too much oil in the car or learn how to change oil???

Your going to blow your own or someones elses engine up following/giving your advice.

Lynn
Old 09-15-2007, 07:42 AM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

at 46000 miles its most likely your PCV valve. rings on these motors ive heard take close to 12 to 20 thousand miles to break in and unless you use ungodly amounts orhuge shots of nitrous your rings shouldnt be that worn. its very unlikely that your valve seals have gone bad. does your motor have any noises or running problems?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

I have to disagree here. The level you want in the pan iin a perfect world is at the full mark on the dipstick with the engine running. Since you can't get an accurate reading with it running, you gotta shut it off, but check it right away while it's hot and you have some oil up top still.

That said, it's not that critical. It's better to be slightly low on oil (like zero to 1 qt range) than to be overfull.
Boy, I don't know where you learned or where taught that GROSSLY WRONG information, your asking for big time probems following your logic. I'm glad I don't let you change or check my oil.. Good god.

We were taught in auto mechanics school 101 to check oil when it is cold because YOU WANT all the oil in tha pan when you check it so you know it is full.

If the car calls for 5 QTs of oil with the filter when you put it in, the car will register FULL on the dipstick when the engine is COLD, that is where you want it. You don't want it higher or lower,
NOT how you mention.

Your logic makes NO Sence because if you want it full when the engine is running, then it will be over the full mark on the dipstick when it is cold, then you go and say it is better to be a zero or 1 qt too low then be over full, well I got news for you, you won't be low following your logic, you'll be over full.
That is a good way to blow soimething up because you got too much oil in it causing too much pressure and foaming in the oil.
As I said, if the car calls for 5 qts with the filter, it will register FULL when COLD, you want nothing more, nothing less.

Have you never read the warnings not to put too much oil in the car or learn how to change oil???

Your going to blow your own or someones elses engine up following/giving your advice.

Lynn
Let me say AGAIN, it's not a good idea to overfill because of the foaming problem. I DID say this.

Now, what I learned was also fromover a decade building racing engines. The oil level is somethig a pro sets himself when building an engine, not what he relies on based on what a $0.59 part from China told him was correct. The right way to set oil level is to make your own dipstick that's marked right below the crank counterweights and then set the oil level to ride at that level while running. Obviously this isn't for 99% of folks and was taken from a racing background. I guess I shoulda clarified. Sorry.

What I was trying to say about the most accurate way to measure oil level with the engine running is because THAT is where the engine lives. Who cares what the level is when it's cold. What matters is that it's not too high or too low when running.

For a typical street car, the basic reason a cold check is not a good idea isbecause you're trusting the oil filter to maintain 100% capacity when sitting, which few actually do. If you were to run the engine first, youwill fill the filter and get an accurate reading.

For the average user, just measure it cold on the dipstick and you'll be fine.
Again, it's not that critical for a street car. +/-half a quart isn't going to hurt anything.

According to Lynn, "That is a good way to blow soimething up because you got too much oil in it causing too much pressure..."

I fail to see how excess oil would raise pressure. That is absolutely incorrect. In fact, if your oil foams due to the crank churning it up, pressure would DROP because the oil pump is horrible at moving air.

Turns out what I was saying was much more analytical then you were thinking and it the way professional engine builders do things. Ignornace is no excuse for rudeness, Lynn. [sm=loser.gif]
Old 09-15-2007, 03:08 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i put 5 quarts in my mustang because thats what it calls for on my shopkey and in my manual i believe.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:37 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Turns out what I was saying was much more analytical then you were thinking and it the way professional engine builders do things. Ignornace is no excuse for rudeness, Lynn. [sm=loser.gif]
I apologize if I came off as rude, but I'm just going by what I learned 22 years ago in auto mechanics school and we never got itno major engine rebuilding. I'm sure ideas and teachings have changed in those years. I have been away from this for too long.

IMO what your saying just dosn't sound right.

Your [sm=loser.gif] wasn't called for either.

Lynn