4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I'm changing my own clutch, cause I'm out of money.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:49 PM
2000 Ragstang

Default I'm changing my own clutch, cause I'm out of money.

Ok, I think I can handle this mechanically but I've never tried it before. I have the Hayes manual and can follow directions fairly well, except for the one about have this job done by a professional.....Of course I don't have a lift only jack stands. So, my question is how far does the car have to be off the ground to get the tranny out. I would hate block the engine up and get everything loose only to find I have to put it back together just to raise the car up more than my jack stands reach. Also if you have any tips and tricks, I'm a good listener too! You know what sucks... I had the new gears installed, (4.10's) It took the guy a week and the moment I started the car when I picked it up the throw out bearing when balistic. Its that a sign or what!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
97gtmt

Default RE: I'm changing my own clutch, cause I'm out of money.

I just finnished a my 1st clutch job last weekend.

I used ramps with about 4inches of wood on top of the ramps(ramps on all 4 wheels) and I still had to slide my tranny out on a sheet of carpet. Putting it on a jack under the car took some brut *** force. As a former defensive end, I found that once the tranny was under the car slide a jack stand next to it, grab the rear of the tranny,slide urself under it, bench press bellhousing end on to stand, slide stand w/tranny under exact spot, crawl out, grab jack and wallla ur set.

I had from rocker pannel to the floor 3ft 2in. Im sure it can be done with less room, but i would have liked 4ft + room to work with. I also bought the tranny jack attachment at harbor freight for 49.95, but it was way to tall with tranny on it slide it out from under car. It did help when it came to lining up the input shaft( i dint bang it on any of the pressure plate fingers) and with the re-installation. If i have to do another clutch job on the mustang I would want more clearance under the car. If you have any questions, I am by no means an expert but i do offer loads of empathey. BTW the stater is a real C*CK SUCKER to get out.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
jitt
1st Gear Member

i worked at aamco for 5 years....the clutch job itself is easy....with a lift.....on the ground the difficulty comes from having no space to work like trying to get at the top bolts of the bellhousing....and you should def use a jack 'cuz lining up the shaft with brute strength will take the fight out of you...but it can be done...just remember one of the most important things is when you align the clutch that the alignment tool slips in and out real easy after the plate is bolted in.....chug a red bull and have at it!good luck!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:26 PM
mrounds06
1st Gear Member

im not a mechanic but my dad and i did my clutch install just on jack stands. it was a pain the *** but we got it done in one day. The biggest bitch is not having enough room.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:29 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

I am in the same boat as you. I'm not going to try mine by myself because ive heard the 3650 is a bitch since it's so much heavyer than the t-45 I believe.
Get a couple extra sets of hands helping you. Thats what I'm going to do.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

heres a pointer if you cant find ramps of any kind, find the heavist jack stands you can find. At walmart I found 6tons and they are pretty tall. A rule of thumb I have found is the more weight they are rated for, the taller they go, not positive on that, but the 6tons were a lot taller than my 2 ton stands.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:57 PM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

So im pulling the tranny out right now, where do I put the jack on the front end to jack it up?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I usually go under the a arm and jack up each corner in the front and post up the jack stand. Out back I just lift the diff and put stands under the axle....
Old 09-15-2007, 09:07 PM
2000 Ragstang

Do you have to take the exhaust loose to get the tranny out?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

transmission pulling procedure.

-Disconnect the battery.
-Drain the tranny fluid by removing the plug on the side of the tranny.(go time to change)This plug has the 3/8" square hole for a ratchet with no socket on it.
-Remove the shifter bezel and shifter.
-Undo the four O2 sensors, VSS and reverse lamp switch connectors.
-The harness for these sensors will be connected to the tranny in a couple of different places. Just pry them out of their clips or holes.
-Remove the cover from the clutch fork and remove the cable from the fork.
-Remove the driveshaft, knowing that there will be some fluid leakage, get a pan or a catch to prevent a mess you have to lay in.
-Remove the h-pipe.
-Support the tranny with a jack.
-Remove the crossmember from the body and tranny.
-Remove the tranny bellhousing bolts. You may have to remove the starter.(3 bolts) (will have to)
-With the tranny supported, pull and lower the tranny.
-The next is the hardest Take a Break! you deserve it.

Quick Reply: I'm changing my own clutch, cause I'm out of money.