4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need 00' GT Cruse Control Trouble shooting help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Default Need 00' GT Cruse Control Trouble shooting help

Hey everybody. I have a 2000 GT auto that didn't have factory cruise control. I found a OEM cruise control kit that has everything to install factory cruise (new steering wheel, cruise control servo, cable from servo to trottle body, brake dissengage switch, clutch dissengage switch). I installed everything (except the clutch dissengage switch because I have an auto trans), but it won't engage the cruise. I checked the brake switch and it works properly and I have voltage to the servo motor and all of the switches(On/Off/Set-Accel/Resume/Coast) Ohm out correctly. The horn works also works fine. I even went to the salvage yard and borrowed a different servo and did the same thing. I've checked all the fuses and everything is good there.I don't know what else to test on the system. Does anyone have a factory service manual that gives them instructions to troubleshoot the system further? I'm stumped and hate to have to take it to the dealer (I hate admitting defeat). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I haven't checked the third brake light on the spoiler. I'll check that in the morning.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need 00' GT Cruse Control Trouble shooting help

Diagnostic Strategies
The contents of this article/image reflects the changes identified in TSB 06-8-5

SPEED CONTROL DIAGNOSTICS-W/O SCP -- TSB 06-8-5

ACTION
The vehicles in this article are equipped with a 10-pin speed control servo without a Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) communication control system. Follow the Service Procedures and Diagnostic Tips in this TSB to assist with accurate diagnosis and repair of speed control issues.

Disclaimer
Disclaimer

GENERAL SERVICE PROCEDURE [*]Visually inspect the vehicle. Any after market modifications, including but not limited to those listed below, may cause speed control to not operate correctly:[/ol][ul][*]Any wiring or lamp modifications affecting brake lamp operation[*]LED brake lamps[*]Non-factory installed trailer wiring[*]Radios (speed sensitive, auto mute)[*]Remote starters and alarms[*]Lighting and electrical accessories modifications[/ul][/ul][*]Visually inspect the servo and accelerator controls:[/ol][ul][*]Visually inspect speed control cable without removing and ensure smooth cable operation. Inspect cable connection to the throttle body[*]Visually inspect accelerator cable without removing and ensure smooth cable operation. Inspect cable connection to throttle body. Also check for interference with carpet, bulkhead grommet, insulation, and instrument panel wiring[/ul][/ul]SERVICE PROCEDURE
Start by running speed control servo integrated self test diagnostics. The servo has integrated self test diagnostics which is a key tool in quickly and accurately diagnosing speed control system faults. Self test diagnostics are also the basis for starting speed control trouble shooting.

WARNING: This test is a Key On Engine Off (KOEO) test that is conducted only while parked with the parking brake fully engaged. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

NOTE: This self-test is comprised of two parts. The first part is a static check of the speed control electronics module and system. The second part is a dynamic pull-test to check the actuator motor and gear mechanism.

NOTE: The module times out if each button is not pressed within 1 second of the previous button. If a module time out occurs (speed control lamp stops flashing part way through the test), the procedure must be re-initiated.

NOTE: On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, the clutch pedal should not be depressed except for Escape/Mariner, which should be depressed, in order to correctly perform the self-test. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, the transmission selector lever needs to be in the "P" position for the self test except for the Escape/Mariner which should be in "N".

NOTE: Review the following steps before carrying out the self-test diagnostic procedure.
[*]Self Test Diagnostic Procedure - Static Test[/ol][ul][*]Connect the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DST) to a power source that is not interrupted when the ignition switch changes positions. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, set the DST to monitor the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) throttle position PID while the speed control actuator carries out the self-test.[*]Enter self-test diagnostics by firmly pressing and holding the speed control OFF switch while quickly cycling the ignition switch from RUN-to-OFF-to-RUN, making sure the engine does not start and is not running.[*]The speed control indicator lamp on the instrument panel will flash once to indicate that the speed control module has entered the self test diagnostic mode. Release the OFF switch. If 5 flashes are displayed at this point, a speed control subsystem concern exists. Refer to the Symptom Chart. See: Diagnosis By Symptom[/ol][/ul] Figure 1
Figure 1

[ul][*]Then firmly press and release the remaining switches WITHIN 1 SECOND of each other in the sequence in Figure 1. The speed control indicator lamp flashes once after each of the buttons is successfully pressed. NOTE: Monitor the PCM throttle position PID after the last button is pressed. NOTE: There will be a slight delay from when the last button is pressed and the cluster lamp flashes diagnostic codes. NOTE: If the self-test will not start or cannot be completed after multiple attempts, GO to the Symptom Chart. See: Diagnosis By Symptom[/ol][/ul] Figure 2
Figure 2

[ul][*]Follow the list (Figure 2) for diagnostic flash codes, then go to the Symptom Chart. See: Diagnosis By Symptom[/ol][/ul][*]Self Test Diagnostic Procedure - Dynamic Test NOTE: The dynamic test occurs automatically after the static test passes. If the static test fails resulting in flash codes, there will be no dynamic pull test.[/ol][ul][*]Within 0.25 seconds after the static test has completed, the speed control actuator carries out a dynamic pull test. The actuator automatically pulls the speed control cable 0.04 to 0.39 inch (1 to 10 mm) to move the throttle from the idle position and then releases the speed control cable returning the throttle to the idle position. NOTE: The 2001-2005 Escape/Mariner holds the peak throttle pull for 3 seconds prior to releasing.[*]If the throttle position PID voltage value does not change during the dynamic throttle pull, go to the Symptom Chart for Dynamic Pull Test failure. See: Diagnosis By Symptom[/ol][/ul]SPEED CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

Servo Pin-Out Test Tips

NOTE: Measuring the resistance of a servo will indicate that a servo is bad if readings are outside the ranges specified below. However, a servo can have resistance readings within the specified ranges and still be faulty.

The following readings are the expected values for a good servo.

Resistance between Pins 6 and 10 should measure less than 5 ohms . This is the ground circuit through the module. Resistance between Pins 7 and 10 will vary with polarity, the type of meter, and source voltage of the meter. Also measurements between Pins 7 and 10 can be any of the following: an open circuit, increasing reading (as a capacitor charging), or changing value (re-apply leads and different value indicated), or a stable reading of 10,000 ohms or greater are all valid results as this is a solid state circuit.

DST Testing Tips (TPS PID) [*]Pinpoint Test: The Speed Control Does Not Disengage When The Brakes Are Applied With the vehicle speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) engage the speed control. Then check to see if the IPS PID returns to base voltage when the brakes are applied. If it does return to base voltage, then the speed control system is working. Need to advise customer that tapping the brakes deactivates speed control and that the brakes must be applied to make the vehicle slow down. On the Escape/Mariner the brake pedal should be depressed at least 13/32 inch (10 mm) in order to deactivate speed control. NOTE: Check for calibration service messages relating to dashpot or idle speed control updates.
[*
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

est A: Speed Control Is Inoperative
A1

A2 - A3

A4 - A5

A6 - A7

A8 - A9

A10 - A11

A12

A13 - A14

A15 - A17

Copyright © 2007 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use
Old 09-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

double post
Old 09-18-2007, 02:26 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Got it figured out (Thanks a million Jeremy on the info you sent me). Found that I wasn't getting a signal on my #4 pin, so I traced it back on my schematics. Turns out, on an automatic, where the clutch dissengage switch goes, your spossed to have a jumper wire pluged in it's spot instead. So I cut the plug off of the clutch dissengage switch and soldered the wire together. Works perfect now.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

any time