4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Could use help with Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Default Could use help with Vortech

Hey guy's, I could really use your help. I hope to god that nobody has to deal with a situation like this. first let me make this clear, I don't really drive my car hard, I almost never race, and I literally dont drive anything more than the speed limit on the street (in the time that I have had the car, I have been pulled over 18 times, each time I was going either the posted speed limit, or under it, so luckily I have no tickets or anything on my record, and so I dont need the extra attention (I live in a small town with a-hole cops, itchin to give people tickets, not to mention my car is really loud)

Anyway, onto my problem, by the way, props to anyone who will actually read all of this, thank you in advance for any help you can be. I have a 2000 mustang gt with a built longblock (mahle pistons, manly rods, cobra steel crank, comp cams, p&p'ed heads, titanium valves, new new valvesprings, with about 31,000 miles on it) , a t trim supercharger, which was set at 12lbs of boost, but due to belt slippage, was only seeing a max of 8lbs, built borg&warner performance automatic transmission (really weird gearing, I think, first gear with 3.73 rear gear, goes all the way up to 50mph, which I suspect is alot higher than the original transmission). built 9" rear end, not sure which model locker, but do know its not a ford piece.

For those who don't like to read, Ill summerize
-built longblock-kinda
-mahle pistons and manly rods
-cobra crank
-bored .0030 over
-comp cams
-titanium valves
-new valve springs
-p&p'ed heads
some other stuff done that I forgot
-vortech T-trim supercharger
-8lbs of boost due to belt slippage, pullied for 12lbs
-meth injection
-borg &warner performance built transmission
-9"rear end with aftermarket locker
-tokico shocks and struts
-steeda lowering springs
-roll bar/cage -11.49 legal
-subframe connectors
All of this only adds up to about 340rwhp, which I think is wrong, but I bought it this way, and that is what the previous owner told me it dynoed at, but I dont think that it is right

anyway, two nights ago on my way from home, I got on the car a little because I was going up a hill, about fifty feet from my house, I of course turned overdrive off so that I didn't experience detonation, and all of a sudden I hear a loud pop, not really a knock, but like a bang, come from the engine bay, right after that, I lost all power and the engine died, very luckily as I was pulling into my drive way, and was able to roll near the carport, and only had to push it about 10 feet.

Immidiately when I got home I checked for all possible oil leaks or anything really, and there wasn't a dent in the oil pan, no oil leaking at that point in time at all. so after that I tried firing the engine, but unless I pressed in the throttle, the engine would die right away, not with any knocking, it would just die. I couldn't hear anything wrong with it, but that might have been merely from the exhaust, as it doesn't have but one catylytic converter. the next day I decided that it might be the supercharger that broke, so I disconected the discharge side of the vortech from the throttle body, and tried firing it up. well, it fired right up, it wouldn't idle, it was running at like 3000rpm, I suspect because the MAF was was telling the computer that it was getting alot more air than it was, and it was running really rich, but it ran, and only shut off because I turned off the ignition.

Right now the car isn't driveable, and Im taking the supercharger off and hoping to got that it is the problem, at which point I will have it sent to vortech engineering to have it rebuilt and probably upgraded if I can. I just wanted to see, am I right in assuming or thinking that its the supercharger that is amiss? and not the engine? I mean the engine was put together by one of the best engine builders in arizona, and its only got like 8.5:1 compression, and forged pistons and rods, so it really doesn't make sense that with super high octane methanol injection, that it would break.

But I mean like I said, Ive only really been to the track twice, and only got one run in both times,and I dont drive it hard. I bought it from a 65 yr old reverand that Im sure didn't abuse it. So any help and any opinions would be very much appreciated
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Stonewall83
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Could use help with Vortech

i have no idea whats wrong
but why in the hell would a 65yr old reverend have a blown mustang???
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

he was the original owner of the car, he had it built for himself at one of the mustang shops in phoenix (AMP performance) and they are supposed to be really good. his wife made him sell it, I guess I just got really lucky
Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

When you disconnected the tube and started the car was the blower blowing air out? The pop you heard could have been the shaft inside the blower breaking. If that's so then it wouldn't be blowing any air. The pop could have been a tube blowing off as well.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stonewall83
why in the hell would a 65yr old reverend have a blown mustang???
Why not?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stonewall83

i have no idea whats wrong
but why in the hell would a 65yr old reverend have a blown mustang???
Same reason anyof us have blown mustangs.You can never be too old.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Fobra
Banned

350 rwhp... i dont know man but your story isnt adding up, from what you say it sound like you blew the motor... maybe it just backfired... I dunno not enough info really