4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What can I use with Accufab Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 PM
REDSTALION
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What can I use with Accufab Plenum

u might have a leak some where in that area, get a carb cleaner spray and spray on the plenum area, spray it on the plenum and TB joint section, and then the plenum and the EGR joint section and then the plenum and lower intake section.

i had the same problem and after checking it appeared that my plenum was leaking from the EGR side.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

I tightened everything down to manual specs and used good gaskets. The only place it could be leaking is where the plenum meets the intake. The manual specs call for the following torque settings:
first torque: 51 inch pounds
second torque: 73 inch pounds
third torque: 90 degree turn

I did not have a torque wrench that measured below120 inch pounds so I guessed. Other than that, everything else is solid. Only thing if its not that is my IAC is not operating correctly probably because the computer is all screwed up and not activating the solenoid properly. Driving it for a while should fix this. I hope.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:01 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

I tightened everything down to manual specs and used good gaskets. The only place it could be leaking is where the plenum meets the intake. The manual specs call for the following torque settings:
first torque: 51 inch pounds
second torque: 73 inch pounds
third torque: 90 degree turn

I did not have a torque wrench that measured below 120 inch pounds so I guessed. Other than that, everything else is solid. Only thing if its not that is my IAC is not operating correctly probably because the computer is all screwed up and not activating the solenoid properly. Driving it for a while should fix this. I hope.
It's not a problem with your install, the net is full of problems with this combo.
You could literally tighten the mounting screws by hand an not have this problem.
The problem is an IDLE HANG, it has NOTHING to do with a vac. leak unless you didn't tighten the IAC correctly.
Make it tight, but not too tight....Seriously, you can't screw this up. Nobody who works on cars can.
It's not you, it;s the mod.

If you set the TPS properly, drive the car for a few days and it does NOT fix itself, consider yourself a victim of the accufab idle hang bug.
Return the unit.
Be persistant with AM and they will take it back.
If all else fails either ebay it or call your charge card company and explain the goods were not what you expected.

Many will argue with me, but just google it and see for yourself.
This is a no brainer mod and for some, most in fact, it works great but for some it does not.
It has nothing to do with the install, but more to do with the car. Automatics seem to have the problem more than manuals.
Makes sense since their tune is different.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I don't think I will call them again, but I will definitely write them a letter. The moral of the story here is all stangs are not alike. What works on one car may not on another. Case in point. I recently got a dyno tune. The results were favorable but the tuner said he was limited to what he could advance the timing to. On my car, he had to stop at 4 degrees because after that, it started to detonate. He said he has advanced timing on other stangs as high as 10 degrees without a problem. He did not think it was gas, but machining of the stock heads, so my car is just one of those cars where the Accufab may not work well. This is fine and if I have to go back to stock, so be it, but I am annoyed at AM's no return policy once you attach it to your car. I spent close to 400.00 for an item I may not be able to use.I'll let you know what they say. At a minimum, I would expect a credit toward other purchases. I got the feeling when talking to the customer service rep that they have had other complaints about this.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

Thanks. I don't think I will call them again, but I will definitely write them a letter. The moral of the story here is all stangs are not alike. What works on one car may not on another. Case in point. I recently got a dyno tune. The results were favorable but the tuner said he was limited to what he could advance the timing to. On my car, he had to stop at 4 degrees because after that, it started to detonate. He said he has advanced timing on other stangs as high as 10 degrees without a problem. He did not think it was gas, but machining of the stock heads, so my car is just one of those cars where the Accufab may not work well. This is fine and if I have to go back to stock, so be it, but I am annoyed at AM's no return policy once you attach it to your car. I spent close to 400.00 for an item I may not be able to use. I'll let you know what they say. At a minimum, I would expect a credit toward other purchases. I got the feeling when talking to the customer service rep that they have had other complaints about this.
This is a great mod for many cars, but for some it just does not work properly probably because all cars are not created equal.
I received a few emails from people who had similar problems and as you know the net is full of hits on the idle hang.
The only thing I discovered is that people with automatics seem to have more troubles than manual cars. The tune is different for the automatic cars, so that might be why.
In all fairness though, the vast majority of people have no troubles with this mod.

One of the bolt one articles I read a while back hinted that their car really needed a tune to get the most of the TB/Plenum upgrade and that if a 75mm were used instead of the 70mm they installed, the car would be too lean and would definitely need a tune.

I would drive it for a few days and see if the ECM adapts to the new unit.
If all else fails, there is always ebay.