4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just a quick exhaust hanger Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Default Just a quick exhaust hanger Q

I have an SLP LMII catback on my car, and noticed that my right tip is hanging a little bit lower than my left one, and noticed that sometimes (usually only in 1st and 2nd gear), that I hear a rattling sound right where my rear passenger wheel and tip are. Well, I think I finally found the problem.

On each tip (like all other catbacks), the metal hanger than comes off it, fits into a little square, almost foamy hanger thats held on by two bolts to the underside of the car.

The drivers side is fine, fits perfectly, but the passenger side, has a decent gap in the foamy material. It looks like it pushed itself down, creating a bigger hole, and that would account why it sits lower. I had my friend look at it while I drove (obviously not fast at all) to make the rattling noise, and sure enough, it was the tip rattling up and down becuase the hole (which should be a cirlce), was now an oval because it pushed itself down, and was literally bouncing up and down.

My question is, what are those foamy hanger things called? Just hangers, or what? They are both OEM, and would probably like to get something aftermarket (aka, better) if possible, I just don't know what to look for.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 AM
X04Mach1X
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just a quick exhaust hanger Q

Are you talking about the ones at the complete rear of the car that the rod on the tip actually slips into? I have lm1 and mine was the same way, i just adjusted the tip where it connects to the pipe and tightened it down as much as it will go so its more or less being held at the pipe instead of the hanger in the back...
Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Ya thats what I'm talking about, the thing the hangers slip into.

And I'll look into tightening it like that, but would still like to replace them so I don't have to worry about it.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM
X04Mach1X
2nd Gear Member

yeah if i find anything out ill let you know cuz id like to get a new one too on my passenger side..let me know if you figure it out as well
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

04Mach, I think I found what we were looking for:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/exhaust.htm

Its called the "GT Stainless Steel Exhaust Hanger Kit 99-04"

"Oem style hangers that have OEM appearance but upgraded 304 Stainless Steel construction. These hangers are recommended with any aftermarket cat-back exhaust system. These hangers are perfect for todays performance vehicles that utilize larger diameter exhaust pipe while maintaining that oem appearance. Will be the last hangers the car will ever need. Includes 2 muffler hangers, 2 tailpipe hangers, bolts and fasterners. All stainless steel construction."

Although its $50, it looks like its much stronger than the OEM hangers, and I'll be ordering these on Friday (hopefully), so I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: Also found stainless steel ones on the pypes website for about $10 less.
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/accessories.html

Part number
TPHV6.

And BTW, my fav color + mach = pure sex .
Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
X04Mach1X
2nd Gear Member

awesome!! good find man and i think you just complimented my car lol thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Heh, could be worse. My passenger side tip fell off completely and is just hanging. I keep meaning to get down there and fix it, but I still haven't had a chance. It's not going anywhere, but I hear it bouncing off the gas tank sometimes and I think it's squeaking. Sometime I'll actually get down there again and fix it. Maybe that'll be my task for this weekend.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Heh yes I did compliment your car. The car I *want* is a Competition Orange Cobra. Its a rare color, but orange also happens to be my fav color anyway.

And I think Machs look sexy in general.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Well, I ordered them from Brenspeed for $46 shipped, but then this morning found out that americanmuscle has them for $36, and thats not even with the discount code......

GOOOOOD damnit.