4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

question about spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

Default question about spark plugs

I have a 99 gt. Here are my questions:

1) My car has about 80k miles on it. Do I need spark plugs if the car runs ok? They have never been changed to my knowledge (or anythign else like fuel pump filter, etc) I am the 3rd owner

2) If I do need new plugs, what ones do I buy?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: question about spark plugs

My thoughts are, if its not broke, don't fix it, but it certainly would not hurt to replace your plugs and fuel filter. At least you will now have a starting point for maintenance. When I bought my 02 last year, I replaced all the fluids including coolant along with plugs and filters. This way, I know when it was done. Stick with motorcraft replacement parts.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

ok well... I get about 160-200 MPT (Miles per tank) depending on if i drive hard or not. Would that be a fule filter problem?

What about my tranny fluid? its an auto
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Driving habits affect gas mileage more than anything. Other factors come into play such as dirty air filters etc....but you can gain the most by changing your driving habits. I have a 5 speed so I can't comment on auto but again, if you change anything, at least you know for sure it was done with quality fluids, assuming you choose to use them, and you have some maintenance record for you benefit.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM
ezerojas

ORIGINAL: swooshonln

ok well... I get about 160-200 MPT (Miles per tank) depending on if i drive hard or not. Would that be a fule filter problem?

What about my tranny fluid? its an auto
If you have never had the inline fuel filter changed, by all means, change that sucker. But a restricted fuel fileter is not going to affect your gas mileage. You'd feel a major drop in performance (flat on hard accel and heavy load / low RPM) if it was highly restricted, not a mileage problem. Plugs on the other hand...They can affect your mileage.

You stated earlier "fuel pump filter" which technically refers to the "sock" filter on the pump body inside the fuel tank. That is never replaced, unless you hadyour ex dump a quart of sugar in your tank. I just wanted to clarify you probably mean the inline filter (under the car body) which is regularly replaced and is intended to protect the fuel injectors (much finer filter media).

As for the trans fluid, it wouldn't hurt to have it replaced. If you don't know the history of the car, it is better to be safe and not run around with toasted fluid.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:33 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

that makes good sense... when I am at low rpms and I stop on the gas, my car haults for a seccond like its bogged down or waiting for fuel... are the inline filter hard to replace?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
ezerojas

It canjust bemessy/stinky work. I don't remember if your 99 uses the plastic clips to secure the filter to the line, or if it uses the newer Y2K+ spring clip lines. If the latter, better off taking it to a decent lube joint or a shop if you are inexperienced. You can easily bugger up the internal line clips even with the right tool.

It is located near the gas tank near the axle housing. Someone with a 99 on this forum may be able to give you a careful walk-thru.

Tip: put out that cigarette first.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

wrong thread my b
Old 09-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Blowby01GT
1st Gear Member

i just changed my plugs at 60k but ive been told to change them when u get some miles like u have on ur car, it will relieve some engine stress when starting ur car, and keep ur car in better shape for the long run, my spark plugs where worn down bad at 60k but i do alot of stop and start driving and shutting engine on and off!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:14 PM
RC02GT
1st Gear Member

whats the best plugs to get?

Quick Reply: question about spark plugs