4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

98gt belt size for ac/bypass ac (pump is knocking)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

Default 98gt belt size for ac/bypass ac (pump is knocking)

anybody know the part #/size
i know its the pump kocking

i dont want the adelete kit. i just want a temp fix, i will put a new pump in maybe

thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 PM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 98gt belt size for ac/bypass ac (pump is knocking)

anybody
the noise sounds awful
Old 09-22-2007, 08:22 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mariotraci

anybody
the noise sounds awful
You can cut your current belt and duct tape it together to the size it needs to be and then get it sized matched. Just remember to get it a little bit smaller than what you make because obviously you aren't capable of putting tension on the pulley and tape the belt together. You need a smaller belt to get tension on the pulley or it will slop around. Are you sure the pump is knocking nd not a rod in the motor??? I have never heard of a pump knocking before! Screeching noise, scraping noise and seizing up is all i've ever heard of! I would take the longest screw driver you own and use it as a stethoscope. Put the screw end on the pump while the car is running and put your ear to the handle end with your pointer finger and thumb wrapped around it touching your ear. This knocking sound shouls be so apparent almost as if it hurts your ear. If you can hear it, but it's not ridiculously loud, then it's something else and just traveling through the motor.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info for sizing the belt. I can put my hand on the pump and feel it knocking. I dont think the clutch on the pulley is disengaging. When the ac is off I can watch the pulley trying to turn and it makes a knocking noise on the air conditioning pump. It doesn't knock at any other rpm's except idling and it knocks loud. I can hit the gas a little bit and it goes away. At ilde, the knocking noise comes and goes as the air conditioning pump is doing something. I can actually put my hand on the outside of the air conditioning pulley and hold it and I can feel it when it starts to do its knocking thing because its trying to engage the pulley but the ac is off, yeah it's a stupid thing to do but I was trying to diagnose my problem. Just wanted to make sure I could buy a new belt without having to buy an ac delete kit.[/align][/align]Thanks again....Mario[/align]
Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

I popped my hood and looked at the belt routing and you need the pump or a delete kit. I have a spare pump that came on my cobra motor with 53kmi.