4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: synthetic oil

ORIGINAL: ezerojas

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

My 2003 GT uses either Mobil 1 or Penzoil Platinum although I might go to Motorcraft Synth blend because it is 1/2 the price and according to what I read it's just as good.

The key is to find what works for your car and stick with it.
When the synthetic blend costs as much as a conventional thats when the warning lights go off in my head. You get what you pay for. There is no half-priced oil that performs as well as a higher priced product.
Hey, sorry abou the sarcasm. Couldn't resist. Those myths die hard when folks keep perpetuating them with "first-hand" accounts of cause/effect relationships.

As for the last post, he has a very good point. Many people assume synthetic blends are 50/50 blends of conventional and synthetic; but where does it say that? It could be 1% synthetic, 99% conventional. The manufacturer does not disclose the ratio of blend.

Blends, in my opinion, are just well marketed, costlier conventional oils with a dash of sythetic in them. It's a great marketing ploy, if you ask me. Not to say they don't have their benefits; but for the price, you might as well go completely synthetic, or stay entirely conventional.
This is true and in fact even the term "synthetic" itself is subject to regulation.
For example there is speculation that Mobil One is not really a group 4 oil (true synthetic) any more because of their squabble with Castrol over what a synthetic really is.
Then there is the additive package which is what differentiates one brand from another.

Everyone has their own ideas on what is best, but in the end changing the oil at 3k-5k along with a good filter and using the grade and weight recommended by Ford for your particular motor is the best thing you can do for your car.
All the top tier oils are good oils although some are better in one respect or more than others.

People who have engine wear problems usually don't change their oil often enough, abuse the motor or use real cheap filters.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
fyouceeku
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pete97GT

just keep in mind that if you switch to synthetic you will never be able to go back to conventional
That is BS.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

IMO it is NEVER to late to switch to synthetic oil, or synthetic fluids throughout the car for that matter (engine/trans/rear).

The WORST possible thing that could happen is that you swap to synthetic, and it starts using oil.If it does... just switch back to regular and the leak will go away (or at least go back to just like it was before the swap). The synthetic oil will not hurt the engine in any way, nor will swapping back and forth. The reason a higher milage/less tight engine may leak with syn and not with conventional oil is the smaller and more uniform molicule shape of the synthetic oil. It can simply slip past the cracks easier and leak by.