4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

short headers to Long headers, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:18 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: short headers to Long headers, worth it?

Isaw a post where nanaki did a shorty to LT swap with F/I and it still didn't make a huge diff. Save up for spray or a blower.

7 HP at the crank = 4 HP at the wheels? Almost 50% lost through the drive train? I don't think so. If that were the case my car makes 560 crank HP cause only 280 of it shows up on the dyno.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:35 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

7 hp on the crank and 4 on wheel? for 800$ (LT,shipping and installation)?
lol i dont know guys but it i think it aint worth it, unless i have an EXTRA money, i would do it[8D]
Old 09-23-2007, 05:42 AM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaKaVeLi

7 hp on the crank and 4 on wheel? for 800$ (LT,shipping and installation)?
lol i dont know guys but it i think it aint worth it, unless i have an EXTRA money, i would do it[8D]
I'd say keep the shorties and spend the money elsewhere....
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dubarado

I'd say keep the shorties and spend the money elsewhere....
This is where the first problem occurred, buy those shorty headers in the first place. They cost $279 New and LT's cost only $100 more for chromies. It was def. a bitch to install them, but I have a dohc and there was very little playing room. The sound is just plain f.ckin awesome. Much louder, deeper and nastier. I couldn't tell you how much they improved my game because I installed them the same time I did the cobra swap. Ohh, keep the stock Ford header gaskets so your bolts don't loosen up. They are infinately re-useable!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:02 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

i had longtubes on my gt with slicks, tb plenum, RAI and underdrives and i was cuting a 12.9 with a 1.8 60foot. with just the longtubes and slicks i could cut a 13.6. i deff. thought longtubes we worth it on my gt. they sound way better, the rpms come up so much smoother. it just makes it so much easier for the engine to breath. id go with them.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Are shorties better then the stock manifolds and can they bolt directly on to the stock H pipe?
You say long tubes sound better then the shorties, but do shorties sound better then the stock mainfolds?
Lynn
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LynnBob Mustang

1) Are shorties better then the stock manifolds and can they bolt directly on to the stock H pipe?
2) You say long tubes sound better then the shorties, but do shorties sound better then the stock mainfolds?
Lynn
1)Yes, but why would you free up the restriction if you're not going to free it up downpipe?
2) Mostly preference.

This thread is full of opinions, vague descriptions, and a lack of useful numbers, sounless you want to decide on how to spend your 400-800 dollars of hard earned cash based onself proclaimed internet Mustang techs (no offense to anyone so calm down), I would check out subjective, factual magazine articles where they did before and after tests on this same question. I know I've read articles in MM&FF and Modified Mustang, but I can't recall exactly what issue they're in, so I would just go to their websites and do a search through their archived articles.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:03 AM
VeS206

Makaveli.. Did you have your or/x and exhaust done before your shorty? i was wondering it cuz i want to put a set of shorties on my car because i dont want to go through the troubles of selling my old long tubed x pipe for a shorty x and lt headers.... Do they make your exhaust more noticable...? Thanks
Old 09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VeS206

Makaveli.. Did you have your or/x and exhaust done before your shorty? i was wondering it cuz i want to put a set of shorties on my car because i dont want to go through the troubles of selling my old long tubed x pipe for a shorty x and lt headers.... Do they make your exhaust more noticable...? Thanks
no
Old 09-23-2007, 11:15 AM
1fast 99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

its not worth it. my friend with shorties keeps up with me dead even. we have the same mods but he has shorties. and longtubes DO NOT create as much power as everyone thinks.
wow iam thankfull iam not the only one that thinks this i have raced cars with long tubes and all other mods the same and i pulled on them without the 4.10.

Quick Reply: short headers to Long headers, worth it?