4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SN-95 + vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:22 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: SN-95 + vortech questions

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

IMO if you want to do a PI swap + blower what you should do is the PI swap, do the blower, and then run methanol injection. The methanol injection should compensate for the higher compression ratios, stop the motor from pining/detonation in other words, and you will make ALOT more power with the PI setup.

The PI swap doesn't increase the compression THAT much, the meth should more than compensate.

Correct, had that setup for almost a year with no problems! Compression=Power!!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:23 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

IMO if you want to do a PI swap + blower what you should do is the PI swap, do the blower, and then run methanol injection. The methanol injection should compensate for the higher compression ratios, stop the motor from pining/detonation in other words, and you will make ALOT more power with the PI setup.

The PI swap doesn't increase the compression THAT much, the meth should more than compensate.

ahh i gotcha, like i said i wasn't sure if it'd be safe since the swap bumps it up to like 10-2.5:1 compression, then S/C ontop of that. what compression were you at lizzy?(when you had s/c & PI swap). and what is the highest, safest comp. ratio you should go to on those motors?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

ahh i gotcha, like i said i wasn't sure if it'd be safe since the swap bumps it up to like 10-2.5:1 compression, then S/C ontop of that. what compression were you at lizzy?(when you had s/c & PI swap). and what is the highest, safest comp. ratio you should go to on those motors?
10.5:1, and that's as high as you should go, but definitely get the Snow meth kit unless you want to spend big bucks on race gas!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Increased compression on a S/C'd vehicle doesnt really come into effect as a true detriment until you start getting into the higher boost areas.

A 10.5 compression with 6-8psi and a GOOD TUNE (Remember, it is always the TUNE that makes the difference) Will be fine.

Honestly, if you do not want to bump the compression, do the PI Intake/Cams swap. The main problem with the NPI's is their HORRIBLE power band- the Intake and Cams will make it pull to redline just like the PI's do. Not to mention it still gives you 85% of the power of a PI swap.

The only time you need to do the FULL swap is when you want to do aftermarket cams- NPI heads cannot lift as high as aftermarket cams demand.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

That 10.5:1 compression ratio mythfor the pi swap is wrong from what Tim @ mph said. Its more like 11.47:1. That's what he told me when I got my car tuned on the 15th. But he tuned my car to run 8psi with an innercooler and made 376rwhp, so a good tune with a pi swapped motor and boost is possible. That's with 10.5* of timing tho lol, he said he normally runs pi cars at 17*.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: Chris98Gt

That 10.5:1 compression ratio mythfor the pi swap is wrong from what Tim @ mph said. Its more like 11.47:1.
There is NO WAY it's that high!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Ok, but let's look at it this way. Why don't I just s/c the car right now and not add the PI swap at all? I mean, I can always port and polish the heads and give it more hp that way at the same compression correct? Add a set of blower cams and I'm running more HP than the block can take. I'll have to start forging the internals at that point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PI is not the only way to go. I plan to have my car a long time, so what's wrong with waiting another year and saving enough up to get either VT (or any other) heads and some blower cams?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

twin turbo FTW! haha
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Ok, but let's look at it this way. Why don't I just s/c the car right now and not add the PI swap at all? I mean, I can always port and polish the heads and give it more hp that way at the same compression correct?
You could, talk to 97stanger, he did just that with good results
Old 09-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Ok, but let's look at it this way. Why don't I just s/c the car right now and not add the PI swap at all? I mean, I can always port and polish the heads and give it more hp that way at the same compression correct? Add a set of blower cams and I'm running more HP than the block can take. I'll have to start forging the internals at that point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but PI is not the only way to go. I plan to have my car a long time, so what's wrong with waiting another year and saving enough up to get either VT (or any other) heads and some blower cams?
If that is the way you want to go, please, when installing the supercharger, atleast do the PI Intake with the adaptor plates so you fix your powerband. The NPI Powerband is HORRIBLE- The intake simply cannot flow enough air N/A, I cant imagine how bad it is when S/C.

Quick Reply: SN-95 + vortech questions