4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Window wont go up

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

Default Window wont go up

I just got a cobra and the terminal that has it right now just called and said the driver's side window wont go up. Is this an actuator? how much will it cost to fix this? is it a lot of hassle?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Window wont go up

If it were my car I'd tell them they were lazy and to reach down and roll it up. Sorry, that's not much help though. It could be a few things, switch is easiest but probably least likely, motor, fuse. None of it should cost too much and you can do any of it yourself pretty easy. Just from prior experience I'd guess that it's a bad motor, but if you pop (lol, i typed poop at first) off the door panel you can replace it.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ok, thanks. Im complaining to the guy who I bought it from cause only after everything has been taken care of im finding out all the problems. I'm done buying cars off ebay. Thats the worst mistake I've ever made. This is probably my last car for a while anyway.

Lmao that you typed poop. I guess I'm just gonna check with a ford dealership or summit racing for the parts when I pick up the car on wednesday.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0Sleeper

ok, thanks. Im complaining to the guy who I bought it from cause only after everything has been taken care of im finding out all the problems. I'm done buying cars off ebay. Thats the worst mistake I've ever made. This is probably my last car for a while anyway.

Lmao that you typed poop. I guess I'm just gonna check with a ford dealership or summit racing for the parts when I pick up the car on wednesday.
Ehhhh, no way man. Advance or Pep boys or whatever. Much cheaper!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

oh ok. thanks man. I got an advance just up the road.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

me and some guys here on the forum did this: take the panel off, get a hammer and lightly hit the track while pressing the window switch (for the window to go up) Anyways worked for me and couple of other guys. Try that. Mine work perfect not. The window gets stuck sometimes Probaly because of the hot weather.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

i will try that. gotta go pick it up wednesday.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

same thing happened to me....along the same lines of what lexy recommended, I just turned the car on....opened the door....held the switch in the UP position....and slammed the door hard a couple times while holding the up switch.....window went up after like 2 or 3 slams.....sometimes the little plastic motor bit can come loose/dislodged....happened on my mercury cougar and my dads dodge dakota too...same solution solved it....

good luck
Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

My window motor went bad on my '83 T-bird and the damn motor alone cost almost $200 back in '88!!

I was going to put it in myself until I got a nasty 1 1/2" gash on my left forarm from the door frame being sooo sharpe and that scar is still here to this day 20 years later.

Needless to say I took some place to finish it and it still cost me an additional $50 with a friend's dad doing it.

Lynn
Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM
mf3156
1st Gear Member

Replacement motor cost approx. $75 (Pepboys, Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc.) - I have few replies on here on what to expect as far DIY ... not too bad.

Banging the area where the motor is may work - for a while - but it will eventually not respond to your "tapping" ... do it right, get it replaced (if indeed this is the problem of course).

Quick Reply: Window wont go up