4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loud noise when turning right.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Loud noise when turning right.

UPDATE: So I got the camera out and had my friend drive it around the parking lot and we tried and tried and conveniently couldn't get it to make that stupid noise. I guess I'll have to try it during the day tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

it's most likely going to be the clutch pack.one of my buddies runs that royal purple in his differential and his whine like hell. i'd drain it,and spend the $50 on Motorcraft fluid,and 4oz of Motorcraft friction modifier.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:05 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: catch_15

UPDATE: So I got the camera out and had my friend drive it around the parking lot and we tried and tried and conveniently couldn't get it to make that stupid noise. I guess I'll have to try it during the day tomorrow.
LAMO, I had the same problem when I tried to tell a mechanic what the noise is! My car just wouldn't do it. But you better believe that when I leftthe shopand turned left out of the parking lot, she made the noise!!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:33 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

LAMO, I had the same problem when I tried to tell a mechanic what the noise is! My car just wouldn't do it. But you better believe that when I leftthe shopand turned left out of the parking lot, she made the noise!!
I worked at a dealershkp for a while and it was funny to see how many people would come in with a problem and take a ride with our shop foreman, and on the test drive, the car did fine...it wouldn't make a single noise lol. It's funny how that works. Maybe I should keep a camera on it permanently and it won't do it anymore.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

Ok guys...here's the video of it. You'll have to turn the volume up quite a bit.http://youtube.com/watch?v=AKDo7DtzvoA
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

[]yeah i would check the joints , then the trunk make sure you got everyone out since the last trip to the drive in ...and i fixed it by parking only to the left now [&:]nice call on the exhaust ...
Old 09-29-2007, 07:43 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogerwilco357

[]yeah i would check the joints , then the trunk make sure you got everyone out since the last trip to the drive in ...and i fixed it by parking only to the left now [&:]nice call on the exhaust ...
The u-joints are relatively new, and I'm not very hard on it, so I doubt it would be them. Have any of you guys had this same noise coming from your rear end? It's sounding like the unainmous (spelling?) choice is clutch packs and that I should add some modifier to the diff. fluid.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogerwilco357

The u-joints are relatively new, and I'm not very hard on it, so I doubt it would be them. Have any of you guys had this same noise coming from your rear end? It's sounding like the unainmous (spelling?) choice is clutch packs and that I should add some modifier to the diff. fluid.
Clutch packs for the win.....
Why?
1. U-Joints make a thud kind of a sound. Vibrate the entire car and make you wonder wtf is going on....
2. Gears are more of a whoomp whoomp sound.
This kind of sounds like a buzz saw cutting wood....

I say clutch packs or interference of your tire with something.
It almost sounds like the tire rubbing.

Does it do it turning in both directions?

Dump your fluid and change, make sure to add friction modifier.

Just a wild guess.....
Old 09-30-2007, 08:43 PM
jon595

Your brake rotor is making contact with the caliper bracket (bridge bracket) or the caliper itself. Have you ever replaced your axle bearings? When you replaced your R&P did the axle have wear from the bearing?

Why would it be your u-joint? It is not effected when the car turns, only when it travels up or down.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Loud noise when turning right (FIXED!!)

UPDATE: So I bought 2 bottles of Motorcraft friction modifier and put that in the differential. I jacked up the back and stopped 1 wheel from turning and let the car run in 1st gear for about 20 minutes and then stopped the other wheel. The noise has since gone away and now I can fix the creaking noise in my steering and my brakes squeaking lol. Thanks for the help guys...I really appreciate it.