4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tech info 96 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 AM
AWD TERROR

Default RE: Tech info 96 GT

Thanks for all the responses.

This is where I get my first idea about the car....http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/...merreview.html

I also talk to people who have owned them, and the local shops, and they have all agreed on the "eating tires"

It is a stick, it already has an exhaust, and is lowered. The first thing I will do if I get it is to swap out the intake. Then maybe a good set of headers.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AWD TERROR

I also talk to people who have owned them, and the local shops, and they have all agreed on the "eating tires"

honestly i have NEVER heard of that before, i own two mustangs, a 98 GT and a 96 GT, and my brother owns a 96 Vert. never had one problem with going through tires from normal wear. I have a set of tires on my 98 that have been on for almost 4 years now, and no problems whatsoever. it has traveled all over too, from the northern tip of WI all the way to Illinois and back multiple times, and still the tires are awesome..... i still have never heard of mustangs eating through tires except for doing burnouts and stuff like that, which i have never done [sm=devilangel.gif]
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: catch_15

I have a 98, and when my intake cracked, I needed it replaced that day. I paid $250 for an OEM from my local salvage yard who for some reason carried updated Ford manifolds. It wasn't too hard to install, you can do it by yourself with basic tools. I did it in a couple of hours. Other than that, the only problems I've had with my car are small. My tensioner bearings went out and I had to replace it, and my u-joints went bad. Other than that, It's been a very reliable car.
OMG they seen you coming!..lol
I think a Ford dealer charges that much for a brand new one!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Just like everyone else is saying, they don't "eat tires." I have a 97 GT and it does just fine. As stated before, just drive it like a sane person and you'll get whatever the tire says you'll get out of it. As for the header idea, if you're going to do that, you might want to do the entire PI swap instead or at the same time. It's a bit more, but if you don't plan on going FI, then it's an easy way to gain 60 HP.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: catch_15

I have a 98, and when my intake cracked, I needed it replaced that day. I paid $250 for an OEM from my local salvage yard who for some reason carried updated Ford manifolds. It wasn't too hard to install, you can do it by yourself with basic tools. I did it in a couple of hours. Other than that, the only problems I've had with my car are small. My tensioner bearings went out and I had to replace it, and my u-joints went bad. Other than that, It's been a very reliable car.
OMG they seen you coming!..lol
I think a Ford dealer charges that much for a brand new one!
When I worked at the Ford dealership here, a couple of people came in with cracked intakes in their Grand Marquis and the intake itself was around $500 through Ford.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

i have a 96 and love it. i would take a 96 w/ a PI swap over a 99-04 any day. if you want something that has potential though, go for a 5.0. that is what i am looking for as a second car now.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 PM
impaled
2nd Gear Member

oh. i forgot, my stang doesnt eat tires, if it does just get it alligned and that should solve your problem..
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM
fr8flyer

I have a 98 GT convertable that I bought with 17,000 miles on it. It now has 82,000 and is still bone stock. I haven't had any trouble except the gas filler rubber gasket went bad, battery (factory lasted 8 years) and tires. They are great cars but I guess compared to the 99-04's they're slow.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
InferRedd
2nd Gear Member

You said it was lowered a little bit? And it's eating up the tires? It's more than likely that it doesn't havean aftermarket, camber kit, which is no more than $150 max! (Front tires) Check into that. The rear shouldn't ba any problem.

I have a 96 GT also and I lowered it 2.5" with H&R springs and I love it. And the camber angle was almost 3 degrees off!!! Get that put on and you should be good with the tire thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 AM
AWD TERROR

I looked at it, and something just wasn't right. The paint didn't shine like paint should. I took it for a drive with the owner, my buddy in the back seat. It ran great except for a loud bang when I hit bumps.

I got out and started looking over the car again. I noticed a run in the paint on the front bumper and then it hit me. The whole car was re-painted, and covered in orange peel.

I asked about why he put the lowering kit on, and he replied b/c the shocks were bad. (in 60,000 miles?) So I looked under the car and notice the oil pan was scraped up badly. So he either was beating the **** out of it, or decided to run over a cement block.

I would have to say the car was worth $3,500 at the most. So, it looks like my search is still on-going.

Quick Reply: Tech info 96 GT