4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tech info 96 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
AWD TERROR

Default Tech info 96 GT

I am currently looking at buying a 1996 GT with 60,000 original miles. It has an exhaust and is lowered just a bit. The car looks very clean.

Everyone I talk to about this car tells me not to buy it. No one knows why, but they keep saying they hear bad things about them.

I know that they have a problem with eating tires, which does not bother me. What else should I be worried about?

Also, what are some of the troubled areas to look at before I buy?

Thanks,
Max
Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 PM
JT76

Default RE: Tech info 96 GT

they are good reliable cars, except for the fact that they are painfully slow, without a head swap. Dont expect anymore than 180rwhp out of one
Old 09-26-2007, 01:40 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

the only really thing that is bad with the cars are the plastic intake manifold that has a tendency to crack. and for eastin up tires, they get eaten up if u drive it hard! treat it nice and it will treat you nice. These cars are solid. Nothing bad about em, except underpowered
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM
AWD TERROR

ORIGINAL: BlackMage

the only really thing that is bad with the cars are the plastic intake manifold that has a tendency to crack. and for eastin up tires, they get eaten up if u drive it hard! treat it nice and it will treat you nice. These cars are solid. Nothing bad about em, except underpowered
How much did you spend on your intake? Just woundering how much I'm getting into.

Is it easy to tell that the intake is plastic? (If the owner already changed it, I want to know)

From what I'm hearing, something was off with the suspension and the ate tires no matter what.

Thanks for the imput, keep it coming
Max
Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

I have a 98, and when my intake cracked, I needed it replaced that day. I paid $250 for an OEM from my local salvage yard who for some reason carried updated Ford manifolds. It wasn't too hard to install, you can do it by yourself with basic tools. I did it in a couple of hours. Other than that, the only problems I've had with my car are small. My tensioner bearings went out and I had to replace it, and my u-joints went bad. Other than that, It's been a very reliable car.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
AWD TERROR

So, my guess is that everyone says no b/c they are slow.Are there any other problems?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

there isn't any "real" problems with the SN95's just they come underpowered and to make them faster than the 99-04 GT's you have to do the PI swap which will increase your Compression Ratio to 10.5:1

plus SN95's weigh a lil less than the new edges (99-04) and look waay sexier :]
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i paid 192 from americanmuscle.com i bought a pi intake manifold, not the stock NPI manifold. but its easy as heck to install yourself, even with little knowledge. heres and easy way to tell the PI from an NPI, and the original manifold will not have this aluminum crossover tho. the PI manifold is on the left and the NPI is on the right. The original NPI does not come with the aluminum crossover on the front of the manifold. If it is still plastic on your car, it is probably the original manifold.but here you can tell the difference between the two and see why the PI has much better flow than the NPI cuz of the bigger runners hope this helps ya

https://mustangforums.com/m_3833004/...tm.htm#3917676
here is also a how to on swapping from the NPI manifold to the PI manifold.

and also.......

ORIGINAL: jEEd

plus SN95's weigh a lil less than the new edges (99-04) and look waay sexier :]
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM
juniortheredneck

if it's auto by you a ratchet shifter, standard would be awesome too. get some 3.73's and other bolt on's and it'll be a fun little car till you make more money.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

This is my second '96 GT and I've never had or heard of a stock Stang eating tires. I've heard of Roush and Saleen Mustangs eating tires, but they have a modified suspension. As far as problems to look for... Intake manifold (as stated above) is the biggest. Other than that they're good cars. My last one went up to 160K with no problems but an intake manifold. Here's a better picture of the difference between a PI intake manifold and a NPI intake manifold:

Quick Reply: Tech info 96 GT