4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bassani X pipe with cats pass emission in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM
cnugget23

Default Bassani X pipe with cats pass emission in Texas?

I got a '99 Mustang (4.6L V8 2V) with a Bassani X-pipe with cats and SLP Loudmouth Catback. Does anyone know if this will pass emissions in Texas?

I'm from Minnesota (no inspection) and just moved here to Texas. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:00 PM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: Bassani X pipe with cats pass emission in Texas?

if ur check engine light is not on, then yes it will pass. on all obd II cars, and vehicle 96 or newer, if ur check engine light is not on, then ur car will pass. The only other thing they check is ur gas cap, to make sure it is holding pressure.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:17 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

I have a o/r h and mine passed today. As long as no codes are thrown
Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

YOU will pass, anybody that has an o/r x or h pipe will fail.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:51 PM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

not necessarily!!! i have an off road dr. gas and i passed!! as long as ur ce light is not on!! for obd 2 cars only though. My tuner was able to have the obd 2 computer not recognize the lack of a catalyst, so it doesnt throw any codes relating to that!! it kinda funny though, having to go thru emmisions and passing~! btw, i used to work for emissions testing in the state of AZ, so i do know this for a fact. We do not even check underneath obd 2 vehicles for the existance of a catalytic converter. we simply plug our computer into the diagnostic port, and it reads any of the trouble codes.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

not necessarily!!! i have an off road dr. gas and i passed!! as long as ur ce light is not on!! for obd 2 cars only though. My tuner was able to have the obd 2 computer not recognize the lack of a catalyst, so it doesnt throw any codes relating to that!! it kinda funny though, having to go thru emmisions and passing~! btw, i used to work for emissions testing in the state of AZ, so i do know this for a fact. We do not even check underneath obd 2 vehicles for the existance of a catalytic converter. we simply plug our computer into the diagnostic port, and it reads any of the trouble codes.
Incorrect, I am inspector and in Texas, you do look under the vehicle, or your supposed to, OBDII, ASM, Safety, etc.... Alot of shops dont, thats how people pass with o/r x's or h. Or they pay the inspector off. Technically though, you WILL fail.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

I passed the emissions test twice with completely guttedout cats. I guess I passed the visual. They are supposed to run your car for 15 minutes prior to the emissions test. Most don't but the good stations will do it right.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:01 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

visual is visual in TX, as long as they look like they are there.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

I know in Bexar county they do not do emissions testing. I dont know where you live, but in San Antonio FOR NOW they don't check exhaust or emissions.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Im in Houston, its Houston and Galveston counties, along with Dallas Ft Worth area do the emission testing, everywhere else is just safety, and technically they should do a visual, but most dont, because most dont care. Austin has something special, I think its TSI in some parts of Austin, im not sure. But I personally pass mustangs with no cats, just because if I didnt, then I would be a hypocrite, and I dont wanna become one of those. So there is probably tons of people runnin around Houston with o/r pipes thinking its legal because we passed em. lol

Quick Reply: Bassani X pipe with cats pass emission in Texas?