4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car ran slower times after LT headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 02:41 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Default Car ran slower times after LT headers

Last night i went to 1/8th mile drag strip and made a few passes. I was extremely dissapointed i ran consistent 9.0 at 83-85mph all night. A year ago before the LT's, LCA's, JLT intake, and nitto's it ran an 8.7 at 88mph. But while i was out there it stared throwing the lean code again so i believe that is my problem. The car sounds lean and ive been getting incredible gas mileage (23mpg instead of 14mpg) so i knew something was up.The low end seems very weak on the car but the top end is ok. I had the car tuned after i installed the headers and i noticed on my predator they leaned it out alot. Is this fairly normal for LT's to throw the tune off on the car? or could it have something to do with the cam header combo?Ill be getting it tuned next week.
[/align]
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Rader99GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Car ran slower times after LT headers

i have no idea why your times are slower...but how are my times shorter than yours and your trap speed is faster...all i have is o/r h, flowmasters, and 4.10's...like you say you ran 9.0 at 83-85...and i ran an 8.99 and 9.01 any my trap speeds were only around 75 (yes i know i suck it was my first time ever on a track [:@])...is it just traction or what?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
C.Reader

hey man the reason that your running slower times after you put the long tubes in is because you car does not have enough suction to help pull the exhaust out. Now if you put some kind of forced induction in then this will fix the problem but other then that the only way you will be able to fix this problem is to get rid of the headers and fow with mid length. That is what i am running on mine and i have no problems.\

Chris Reader
Old 09-29-2007, 03:49 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

no no no, dont put different headers on there, you just gotta get it retuned. I had BBKs installed last winter and without a tune it ran worse that what it did before. If your running lean, there is the problem, all you gotta do get it retuned. After I got it tuned after the headers, it ran like a champ. I can actually feel the power, your is definetly a problem with being lean, nothing to do with suction.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:10 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C.Reader

hey man the reason that your running slower times after you put the long tubes in is because you car does not have enough suction to help pull the exhaust out. Now if you put some kind of forced induction in then this will fix the problem but other then that the only way you will be able to fix this problem is to get rid of the headers and fow with mid length. That is what i am running on mine and i have no problems.\

Chris Reader
Damn, where did youcome up withthis BS. Longtube headers help N/A cars as well as power-adder cars. I know Ihaveboth[8D]
Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

mauybe you just weren't driving as well and got worse times
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: JayC

ORIGINAL: C.Reader

Chris Reader
Damn, where did youcome up withthis BS. Longtube headers help N/A cars as well as power-adder cars. I know Ihaveboth[8D]
I am glad you responded to that post, Jay. After I stopped laughing, I went and had an eye exam to make sure I was seeing that right.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

no no no, dont put different headers on there, you just gotta get it retuned. I had BBKs installed last winter and without a tune it ran worse that what it did before. If your running lean, there is the problem, all you gotta do get it retuned. After I got it tuned after the headers, it ran like a champ. I can actually feel the power, your is definetly a problem with being lean, nothing to do with suction.
+1, tune is off, nothing wrong with the headers.

Also, I am a bit confused. Did they just use a handheld to generic tune your car after the cams, or did you get it on a dyno and have it custom tuned? Without a dyno and a/f ratio there just isn't any way to know wtf is going on.

Go to a local dyno and pay the 50~ bucks for a few runs. your car should make around the 280 WHP or more mark on a dynojet
Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

You need a tune with the headers...thats all
Old 09-29-2007, 10:40 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

They tuned it with a wideband with my predator after i installed the cams they didnt dyno it they just drove it and tuned it.

Quick Reply: Car ran slower times after LT headers