4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gears what size does what best

Old 09-29-2007, 10:20 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

Default gears what size does what best

ok what gear comes stock in a mustang gt 97...and what would be the gears usually swapped out to make it faster...?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: gears what size does what best

2:73 for most gt's and 3:27's for some GT's and all Cobra's. You won't gain any HP out of gears, just multiplying the tq faster. You will get up to speed faster is all, but rev much higher while cruising down the road or on the highway. Most guys do 3:73, 3:90's or 4:10's I have 3:73's for my 97gt 5spd and run right at 2600 rpms at 80mph on the highway. The lower the gear the faster you will have to shift from 1st to 2nd. If you have an auto go 4:10
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot now is there a way to know what is in it without taking it apart my car is a 97 gt with a vortech and bottle and chip dnyo set ...the car was already set up to go fast but like you said tachs high on the freeway what do you think is in it ..and it is an automatic trans runs great fast and snaps your neck good when it shifts and the vortech is awesome but i have yet to try the bottle it also has a switch with 5 settings for racing i was told not to mess with it unless i run the bottle and know what i am doing which i have no clue i switched it to one and it tachs up to a litttle over 1k then i switched it to the number 2 and it started going nuts i shut it off fast.. all this in park of course seems like the oxygen to gas ratio changed... no clue what this switch is but it runs to the chip mounted on the computer called super chip something like that ..sorry if this makes no sense it is late and i have a hard time conveying what i want to get across very frustrating will figure it out by next summer lol....thanks for any future help on these issues ...rogerwilco out
Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

I have 4.10s and I wish I would have gone with a 3.73 or 3.90. Tractoin is a nightmare with street tires and 4.10s

Old 09-30-2007, 08:11 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogerwilco357

thanks alot now is there a way to know what is in it without taking it apart my car is a 97 gt with a vortech and bottle and chip dnyo set ...the car was already set up to go fast but like you said tachs high on the freeway what do you think is in it ..and it is an automatic trans runs great fast and snaps your neck good when it shifts and the vortech is awesome but i have yet to try the bottle it also has a switch with 5 settings for racing i was told not to mess with it unless i run the bottle and know what i am doing which i have no clue i switched it to one and it tachs up to a litttle over 1k then i switched it to the number 2 and it started going nuts i shut it off fast.. all this in park of course seems like the oxygen to gas ratio changed... no clue what this switch is but it runs to the chip mounted on the computer called super chip something like that ..sorry if this makes no sense it is late and i have a hard time conveying what i want to get across very frustrating will figure it out by next summer lol....thanks for any future help on these issues ...rogerwilco out
Holy crap dude... its called PUNCTUATION and paragraphs!

Sounds like to me you need to get to a dyno quick. Screwing around with the car, espcially when you don't know what setting does what, is a great way to blow it up.

I have 4.10s and I wish I would have gone with a 3.73 or 3.90. Tractoin is a nightmare with street tires and 4.10s
Its not that big of a difference, if you can't get traction with 4.10s you won't get it with 3.73s or 3.90s either. What you need is either a drag radial or suspension work (or both!)
Old 09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Holy crap dude... its called PUNCTUATION and paragraphs!

Sounds like to me you need to get to a dyno quick. Screwing around with the car, espcially when you don't know what setting does what, is a great way to blow it up.

Its not that big of a difference, if you can't get traction with 4.10s you won't get it with 3.73s or 3.90s either. What you need is either a drag radial or suspension work (or both!)

and the driver mod if all else fails
Old 10-01-2007, 11:39 AM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

ahh periods and commas got it ...you two must be married ..what do you teach ? P.E
lol
hope your marriage last as long as my cars....which seem destined to blow up , blow up or blow up if I mess with them...LOL opps caps
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

hope your marriage last as long as my cars....which seem destined to blow up , blow up or blow up if I mess with them...LOL opps caps
WTF is wrong with you? You wish to condem someone elses marriage because they told you to use punctuaion? Go get an education! They're right. I got on this thread to help you but gave up on trying so hard to distinguish between your different thoughts and phrases. It's not polite, it makes you look just plain dumb and it will not get you much help if you don't write correctly. Don't be friggen stupid and wish for someone's marriage to "blow up" just because they pointed out the fact thatyou need to write correctly.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
X04Mach1X
2nd Gear Member

geeze!! whos married?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

The reason you tack is running high could be because you already have lower gears. You can easily calculate your gear ratio without tearing down the car. Jack the car up so that both rear wheels are off the ground. Put the car in neutral. Put a mark on the drive shaft and a mark on one rear tire. Slowly rotate the tire around one full circle counting the number of times the drive shaft turns. If it appears to have turned 3 1/4 times then you have 3.27 gears. 3 1/2 would be 3.55s. 3 3/4 would be 3.73s. And, if the drive shaft rotates a little over 4 times with one rotation of the tire then you most likely have 4.10s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gears what size does what best