4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

rear right brake pads/fire

Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Default rear right brake pads/fire

Hey ya'll just came back from the mts. cruizing up there/ haulin a$$. Fun times but started to smell brakes. pulled over, my friends are yelling your tires are on fire, but the pads just were smoking reall bad. Anyways don't think i damaged anything. About to invest in some cross drilled rotors and pads.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: rear right brake pads/fire

ebay has drilled and slotted rotors front and rear for a 100 bux. I got em, theyre improved performance over stock. There are people that say they are the cheap chinese ones and they crack and what now. I have had em since March and have no problems at all with em. They are great. Pads typically do not get hot like you explained without a reason. You probably have something wrong that you may need to get fixed aside from rotors and pads.

Maybe a sticking caliper??
Old 09-30-2007, 05:56 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

Could be like mine was and the slide pins were frozen from rust. Have to take off the caliper and pads and remove the caliper anchor and hopefully the pins and boots come out of the anchor. Get them out and clean them up good and never seize them. Should do that to all of your brakes. Usually if one is stickey, there is a couple more that are too. Also if your pads go that hot, its possible that your brake fluid got too hot also and it would need flushed out. Make sure that that caliper piston moves too. Getting that hot can ruin the seals in the caliper. Also could have caused brake hose problem if its a stock rubber one.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

have fun with getting the piston is on the rear calipers, its a blast.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 AM
98GTpony
3rd Gear Member

yea your definitely going to need a second hand
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Well i replaced the rear pads not too long ago, nothing ever happens to them when i drive the car everyday, i think the pads really got heated up too much cuz constant breaking and i went sidewayz a couple of bends, i mean i was driving like a maniac hehe. I know the roads pretty well up there cuz i take my bike there few times a week I kinda expected the breaks to get soft on me. But i let the car sit for a while and they were fine. But im definatly getting slotted rotors and better pads for all four wheels.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

If you want to be able to flog your brakes like that w/o overheating them, you need to step up the size of the brakes, not just to slotted or drilled rotors. Upgraded pads will definitely help tolerate the heat, but bigger rotors would help keep the temps down.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
rogerwilco357
2nd Gear Member

funny thing is i changed my pads out and rotors ,,then one of my brakes started heating up bad turns out the caliper was bad replaced it and still did the same thing turns out the new one was defective also wow two bad calipers in a row finally after replacing it smooth sailing ...Does this happen alot when doing brake jobs ,,getting bad calipers? rogerwilco
Old 10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

Usually a sticking caliper can be fixed by replacing the guide pins. They're about $5 per set last I checked.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 PM
98GTpony
3rd Gear Member

make sure the guide pins on the rear brake caliper bracket are functional.. make sure they are not sticking because that could also make your brakes really hot..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear right brake pads/fire