4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Guys please help!!! IM about to give up on my Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 PM
breakinloose96
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Guys please help!!! IM about to give up on my Stang...

ORIGINAL: yelw02GT

sounds likea lemon to me...just onein amillion cars produced that just has ALL the possible f*ck ups.. cus generaly speaking these cars are very reliable...orr im gonna go with the work being done wrong as far as the plug, well thats obviously what it is if it didnt stay in fine working order just try to get threw the problem best you can..god dont buy a honda, SUPORTING JAPAN FTL
+1
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SikSide00GT

Thanks for the input guys, i just got off the phone with my mechanic and it seems like there might actually be some light at the end of the tunnel. Although my power sttering pump just crapped out on me, its not gonna be that expensive to replace. My main concern though was the fluid surroundingthe spark plug. He took the coil out and the it was completely dry in there (thank god) no fluid which means that the coil might just be going out. Im gonna take it down tomorrow and he'll swap the coil to another cylinder and see if it misfires. Wish me luck
good luck!

when you replaced all these parts, why didn't you buy aftermarket ones? like your H Pipe just get a new aftermarket mid pipe? :]
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

keep teh stang, or trade it in for a newer one. but please.....please....dont get a honda.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

blowing sprak plugs out the heads is a common problem with our cars. My car did it at 121k miles while driving though my neighborhood around 20 mph. Luckilly I was doing a motor swap and had a set of livernois heads. I ended up buying a new set of heads since the livernois were used and I didn't want to have the same spark plug issue. If I were you i would have replaced/ upgraded the parts that went bad. I mean what's to say that tomorrow, next week, or next monthyou don't blow out another plug?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:22 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

oh I also have a Honda as my beater car. Granted I bought it used, and it had 150k miles on it and it's a 1991.... I got it because I've always heard that Hondas last forever, well this car is the biggest POS that I've ever owned. I will probably never own another Honda.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

How could you call a car with 90k miles a Lemon? It sounds like your typical car with 90k miles... [&:]

You have minor issues buddy, as long as your drivetrain is solid, nothing is going to be too expensive or crazy to fix. Don't sweat it. With 90k miles, maybe you should get it running smooth and try to find a buyer or trade her in. You are just playing with a ticking time bomb by the sounds of it...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:58 PM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

You should probably save up and replace the timing chain while youre at it. I dont know what the recomended service interval for timing chains on the stangs might be, but at that mileage, it probably aint too far away, and if that goes, it could really do some damage to your internals, bent valves and what not.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
SnakeFan
1st Gear Member

Totally agree, the car is at that time where it seems like no matter what you do, you're going to have to start replacing stuff like....Belts, rear pads/rotors, tires, alternator.....You know the stuff that goes bad from 70-100k. I agree, put some money in it and get another.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: califas_1987

You should probably save up and replace the timing chain while youre at it. I dont know what the recomended service interval for timing chains on the stangs might be, but at that mileage, it probably aint too far away, and if that goes, it could really do some damage to your internals, bent valves and what not.
Replace the timing chain because of miles? While I don't disagree the chains might have a bit of wear, but isn't that an odd-ball thing to recommend changing before going the route of a fresh engine...especially since how much it would cost in labor? [8D]
Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SikSide00GT

OkI have had a really rough and expensive two months. Its been Hell and i cant afford to be spending all this money to keep my car up. Dont get my wrong i would die for my mustang i love it so much but i really need advice and i guess some pep talk because im about to give up. Here are some of teh problems i have had in the past two months.

My car: 2000 Mustang GT Mileage: 99,638

Problems: Replacing the whole intake manifold, Had to get a new rack and pinion, Spark plug shot through my cylinder head and i needed to get the head re-threaded, and i had to get a new H pipe because my cats went to shi*.

But it gets worse. About2 weeks ago i got my head re-threaded because of the spark plug (above) and i thought everything would be fine. Well about a week ago my stang started puttering between 1100 and 3000 RPM and it would jolt around at idle. So i took it back to my mechanic only to findfluidwhere my sparkplug goes.So he took the fluid out (not sure if it was water or coolant. Plus it rained and my plastic cowl hood scoop thing is not properly on so it could have beenwater get in from the rain) andreplaced my boot for the coil and it ran fine.BeforeIleft he told me that it either could have been the rain water (my coil bootwas cracked) that got in to the spark plug or it could be that my head cracked when the cylinder shot the spark plug out.he told me to drive it around for a while and call him if anything else happened. So just yesterdaythe stang started puttering again!!!! Iwas driving to the shop when all of a sudden i couldnt turn my steering whee!!! i gave it a little gas and then the steering cam back but everytime i slow the car downmy wheel gets really really hard to move. i was able to get it to the shop safely andmy mechanic told me thatmy power steering pump might be going out.

I'm at work right now and im so frustrated.....I love my car but i dont know what to do. I'm 19, and I work atHonda of Thousand Oaks in California as a car salesman (no im not a shark) and i see how good these honda's are and how dependable they are and i get help to think about getting rid of the stang. But i dont want to. Im a die hard stang fan.

I dont mean to cry and pout but i ahve always turned to this site for help before and have always recieved it. And i would really appreciate your guy's help and encouragment to keep my stang with me.

Thanks,

Cesar

(P.S. Im still waiting to hear back frrom my mechanic about my head being cracked and he is cheacking the power steering pump)

my car has been the same way (40k miles though)... nothing but electrical problems... im sure it would have engine problems but i replaced the whole drivetrain. my car mostly has cigarette lighter fuses popping as well as the dang power window motor keeps going bad.

if you have any mechanical knowledge, you could easily replace the timing chain's yourself. i have a 90k mile 4.6 sitting in my garage. yea the heads are black and such on the inside... but it has no sludge at all throughout the whole motor which is impressive for the miles. as long as you keep up the maintaince, your car will run for a long time.

Quick Reply: Guys please help!!! IM about to give up on my Stang...