4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

Default Header question

I'm considering buying MAC headers and o/r H-pipe. Will the 2 1/2"H-pipe bolt up to my stock 2 1/4" cat-back or do I have to get a catback too?

PS I know everyone swears by BBK for the affordable headers, but I have an auto tranny so I can't use BBK.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:28 PM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Header question

I think u will be finebecause my bbk x-pipe fit my stock catback at the time but havent mess with mac though
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

What about other things I need to buy with the headers. Better gaskets and stage 8 locking nutsare the only thing I know of so far. Any other things I need to buy?

Also, what about hp gains. I have the stock setup... stock manifolds, 4 cats, and stock cat-back besides mufflers. Going to LT headers, o/r H-pipe, and stock cat-backs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:33 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aking287

What about other things I need to buy with the headers. Better gaskets and stage 8 locking nutsare the only thing I know of so far. Any other things I need to buy?

Also, what about hp gains. I have the stock setup... stock manifolds, 4 cats, and stock cat-back besides mufflers. Going to LT headers, o/r H-pipe, and stock cat-backs.
nononononononononononono don't make the same mistake I did. I bought Percy's dead soft aluminum gaskets and stage 8 locking header bolts. OMG, what a Pain in the *** to tighten the header bolts without stripping them! And then as if that wasn't bad enough, try holding the locking clip over the end of the bolt after it's tightened and then sliding the retaining clip up in there....Hahahahaha yeah right. There's no room for even one arm so forget about using two! Now I did this on a 4v motor, but it's still tight on a sohc motor. Stick with the stock re-useable for life metal header gaskets that are on your car already and re-use the header bolts/studs!!! I spent 8 hours bolting the headers down and installing the clips! Never again and I wasted $85
Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll reuse stock gaskets and nuts. What about all this I hear of having to raise the engine and stuff? Can it be done without doing all that?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aking287

Thanks for the advice. I'll reuse stock gaskets and nuts. What about all this I hear of having to raise the engine and stuff? Can it be done without doing all that?
No. I think the driverside may squeeze up in there without raising it up, but the passenger side had to be lifted quite a ways up! I installed BBK's.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

PS I know everyone swears by BBK for the affordable headers, but I have an auto tranny so I can't use BBK.

is this true???
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM
LilDerk86
1st Gear Member

I just went throught the longtube experience, and to say the least it was fun! I would suggest just go ahead and drop the k -member and save yourself a few curse words. If i would have done this in the first place i could have done the install in a solid four hours. I put on mac long tubes and offroad shorty h-pipe along with flowmasterr catback that was already on there. get yourself a set of O2 sensor extension and mil eliminators unless you have a tuner.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:20 PM
gee
1st Gear Member

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....back up. lol drop the k member? I know what the k member is, but what do you have to do to drop it. Isn't the motor
bolted to that?If so what are the steps for removing it. Reason I ask is I what to install LT headers in my 03 gt
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

My buddy has BBK Shorty's/X-pipe with magna flow cat back and I can't even tell if his cars running. I have a cheap H-pipe from Summit and Flows with stock manifolds and I'm twice as loud and throaty... Performance wise there wont be a difference. They say x-pipe flows better but I say hogwash... and I'd take my sound over the extra scavaged 2hp anyday. I'm ranting.

Quick Reply: Header question