4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing MAC LT's and Prochamber

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
blink_182_atc

Default Installing MAC LT's and Prochamber

For a 2004 Sonic Blue GT 40th Anniversity Edition,

I've had these parts for nearly a year and I finally have some time to put them on. I've looked at certain websites about how to install the new headers and all of them advise to raise the engine about 6" or so. My question is: is it easier to raise the engine or drop the k-member? Also if raising the engine, what tool will unbolt the motor mounts? And, is there a certain way to drop the k-member?

I do have the Steeda o2 extensions, and a pred 2 tuner.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing MAC LT's and Prochamber

the install is not easy, that being said it will be "quicker" to lift the motor. but "easier" to get to the headers in and work with them if you drop the k, but dropping the k is a adventure in itself. i watched yelw02gt install his bbk's by lifting the motor up, still took two days whole days with 2-3 people working on the car at any givin time.

but most shops will quote you 800+......... F that
Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 PM
dirtystang04
2nd Gear Member

Drop the K member. Don't even think about trying to get them in by lifting the motor. I know there are people on here that have done it by lifting the motor, my kudos goes out to them. For the extra hour or so it takes to get the K out of there, it is WELL worth it. Also a ratcheting wrench will help a lot to get to some of the header bolts. Also make sure you mark on your subframe what position the K is in....putting your front suspension back in crooked is a bad thing. The biggest problem I ran into was having tools all over the place..took me 6 hours on a lift with one friend helping.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dirtystang04

Drop the K member. Don't even think about trying to get them in by lifting the motor. I know there are people on here that have done it by lifting the motor, my kudos goes out to them. For the extra hour or so it takes to get the K out of there, it is WELL worth it. Also a ratcheting wrench will help a lot to get to some of the header bolts. Also make sure you mark on your subframe what position the K is in....putting your front suspension back in crooked is a bad thing. The biggest problem I ran into was having tools all over the place..took me 6 hours on a lift with one friend helping.
I totally agree with this. I've done it both ways and lifting the engine is not fun at all. I ended up with leaks when I lifted the engine. I couldn't get a good angle at all by lifting the engine. When I dropped the k-member, it was so much easier although it still was not that easy to get each bolt in. The ratcheting wrench was a lifesaver for me since I couldn't get a ratchet in some of the areas. Get some stage 8 locking header bolts before you start this endeavor. I got leaks both times I worked on my headers until I bought stage 8s along with felpro gaskets. No more leaks.

Moral of the story....If you don't want to do it again, do it right the first time.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

i did mine myself. one person, eight hours from start to finish the first time. drop the k and then drop the engine about 4-5", your best bet.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Order a tubed K its only around $250. You have to drop the k or you will be like some of these guys that it took days just to install headers. Replace the old k with the tubed one you will be much happier in the end. It only take me about 3 hours to install longtubes by droping the k and thats with the car on jack stands.