MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   what block to use? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/354568-what-block-to-use.html)

lm07 10-07-2007 03:30 PM

what block to use?

Im looking to get a mustang and when i do i want to build it up. I wasnt to get a 2001 or newer and make stroke it to a 5 litre. Ive been reading about the different blocks and would like to know what you all think i should use and where i can find them at. Ive read some things about the teksid block and an iron block but im not a big gear head. Also if you know of any shops that can do my engine that would be great also. Thanks i hope theres enough info and if not leave me a post & ill get reply as soon as i can. Thanks

ponyman1969 10-07-2007 04:05 PM

RE: what block to use?

i'd just get a short block. thats what im doing. i want the D.S.S. stroker short block. its only $4500

trickdriller 10-07-2007 04:12 PM

MMR blocks seem to be a winner around here. I don't know the website, but I'm sure you can run a search and find them. They have quite a few different options. One of the moderators on this site, nanki, has one of their blocks and his car is going to be pushing over 600 hp by next week. That might be a good place to start. Where are you located?

lm07 10-07-2007 08:22 PM

I live in ohio. Im 19 going to have 2 kids so not to much money to start with but have found some really nice prices for sum stangs. theres a 03 GT like 85000 miles for about $11000. Im just gettin into the mustang scene so need as much help as i can lol. Id really like to find a cheap 01-newer GT with high ass miles then build it or a blown engine. Thanks for the replies helps me out.

lm07 10-07-2007 09:07 PM

I checked out the MMR site you told me about. I think i found a kit i like its the MMR 5.0 STROKER Street Mod 950 (up to 950HP). I forgot to add in my first thread but how much horse and torque does a stock GT make and how much horse could i expect from this stroker kit? I feel really stupid for not knowing this but ive heard so much stuff from people and want to know the truth. Cant thinka bout anything else right now but when i do ill be sure to post till i figure everything out thanks again for ur help.

2000GT4.6 10-08-2007 01:36 AM

A stroker is the last thing you need to be worrying about. Its not going to add anything toa stock motor GT, without heads/cams and usually an intake a forged bottom end is simply not worth it. The stroker itself doesn't add much horsepower even with a built motor, the gains are mainly seen from the increased RPM potential of the shortblock, which the new cams/heads and intake can take advatage of (because they are designed to do so).

These cars are not cheap to mod. For a fully built engine with boltons as well your looking at easily 10K or more. Without FI of some sort your still not going to be in a fast car, even with a 10K built motor, without other work like suspension etc.

lm07 10-08-2007 09:13 AM

So what would be a way to build up the motor? I seen a thread for some PI heads, intake, cam. Would that be better or be the about the same as the stroker? I do want to get a suspension kit, Im nto sure where to start (first i need teh car which im wrking on) but im doing alot of research about it to see where i should start when the time comes. I seen a kit in musce mustangs and fast fords mag. It was $4000. had tons of stuff in it. havent thought muich about the rear end or tranny but it will all come together. Thanks for urreply later

Fobra 10-08-2007 09:24 AM

stage 3 heads - built - about 1200-1500 bucks
forged short block - 600-900 hp - about 2200-2600 bucks
the stroker kit helps, but not a good idea on a FI motor, so thats out (from my understanding anyway for a daily driver)
Boring it out is the best solution - but doubles the price - not really worth it for the gain
so add FI - around 5k for a T trim intercooled
all together 4k motor - 4k or so blower = around 10k all together and you get around 600-700 rwhp - not bad imo eaisly a 10 sec car with suspension