4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tow Hitch (I know, I know !!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Default Tow Hitch (I know, I know !!!!!)

OK, I do trackdays on my motorcycle and the guy who usually pulls the trailer travells abroad frequently so I'm missing good events and it's really pi@@ing me off. So I have to accept the fact that if I want to do trackdays I'm going to need to pull the trailer myself.

I've been looking at the Hidden Hitch items and have some questions. Are these hitches really hidden as the name would suggest when the ball assembly is removed ?
I asked the company directly and some stupid sales chick gave me a load of bull**** that was totally unhelpful.

If not can anyone reccommend a good and hard-to-see hitch that 's not going to make my car look too stupid ?

thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tow Hitch (I know, I know !!!!!)

****, forgot to hit the 'Notify me via e-mail when someone replies' button.

OK, done it now !!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gjscott

****, forgot to hit the 'Notify me via e-mail when someone replies' button.

OK, done it now !!
You could have just opened the post up and clicked on subscribe just above your message on the right!
Also towing anything with unibody cars is dumb. I laugh at all the minivans towing these huge camping trailers! And those Jeep Wranglers with utility trailers...lol
I know it's a motorcycle, but I'm not sure if you can use a hidden hitch system witha dual exhaust out the back, you may have to go with dumps. Also...hidden hitch is hardly hidden, especially when you've got your gas tank right in the way!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:54 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Why is it dumb to tow with a unibody car, surely if you don't over-do it it's fine, just like everything else. Plus pulling 1 loaded motorcycle trailer isn't going to stress anything. If it does break the body, this car is dangerous to start with and I'll be glad to find out before I'm killed. Providing I survive that !

If you look at the hidden hitch it attaches to the rear x-member so the tank is not affected. Have you seen these hitches ?

What's 'dumps' ?

thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/43612/09F63D01052F4FE294551C2FF81E40B3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3962906/tm.htm

ask one of these guys for pics
Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Dumps are "muffler dumps" no exhaust out the back! Also unibody cars just aren't meant for towing period. I hope you have rear shock cushions (rubber inserts in your springs for bottoming out) You won't have this problem if the trailer and motorcycle are balanced well enough.(not too much weight on the tongue) towing a rolling 800lbs isn't that bad, just don't load your car up with people and you'll be fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
knewton

I have a 01 GT with the Hidden hitch and the only thing that you can see when not towing is a 2 inch by 2 inch square that is covered by a black rubber cover, hardly noticable. The hitch went in very easly with no drilling. I have been towing 2 jet skis to the lake since 1996 (prevously by an 87 GT) without problems. Of course no extreme starts when pulling out from a stop and just dont overload the hitch. Just remember you have a small trailer on when someone pull up next to you at the light. Not everyone can buy an extra truck and the Mustang will look cool pulling up to the race track with the bike (maybe even sneek the Mustang on the track also).
Old 10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I needed. Do you by any chance remember the part number of the hitch ?

I looked on the site and there appears to be a couple of choices.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:10 PM
knewton

Don't remember the number but it looks just like the one in the image you attached. I can check when I get home tonight but I will not be able to respond until Wednesday unless you PM me your number and I can call you with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
gjscott
1st Gear Member

Using the hidden hitch item doesn't require any mods to the mufflers so that's good.

Regarding the weight, it'll be a small motor cycle trailer with a motorcyle which even if badly balanced won't affect the shocks anymore than having groceries in my trunk so that'll be Ok.

Can you give me more info about why unibody cars aren't meant for towing ?

Quick Reply: Tow Hitch (I know, I know !!!!!)