4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

whatd i do wrong? clicking 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
HuntMarsh
1st Gear Member

Default whatd i do wrong? clicking 4.6

so i swapped out all my spark plugs for the first time in my 4.6 GT today, doing everything the right way (i thought). i disconnected the battery,disconnected the fuel pump, moved alot of the intake stuff so i could get to the left bank, took off my fuel rails (injectors still attached), took out thecoil packs, swapped the plugs, then put everything back together in reverse order.

now i have a loud constant clicking noise coming from my left bank (i think). when i rev the engine, it gets faster as well. ive let the car idle a bit and no overheating or anything, so this is just bugging me. i checked all belts and pulleys and nothings rubbing.

any ideas?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: whatd i do wrong? clicking 4.6

did you cross thread a plug? sounds like maby a plug is loose.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:49 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

While you did'nt have to take off the fuel rails or fuel pump, I'm sure it gave you better acces to the plugs.

It sounds to me like one of your plugs on the left side *im guessing passenger if youre facing the car* is not in securely, and you're hearing air escaping around the threads of the plug.

The clicking that I had eventually led to a blown out plug, a helicoil, *and as of a few minutes ago, maybe something potentially worse*

Take the 4 plugs out *do it with everything in place, just have to work around the rails, the coilons will bend under the rails* and then put them back in and make sure to be inserting them correctly, and to the right pressure.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HuntMarsh

so i swapped out all my spark plugs for the first time in my 4.6 GT today, doing everything the right way (i thought). i disconnected the battery,disconnected the fuel pump, moved alot of the intake stuff so i could get to the left bank, took off my fuel rails (injectors still attached), took out thecoil packs, swapped the plugs, then put everything back together in reverse order.

now i have a loud constant clicking noise coming from my left bank (i think). when i rev the engine, it gets faster as well. ive let the car idle a bit and no overheating or anything, so this is just bugging me. i checked all belts and pulleys and nothings rubbing.

You went through all of that just to change your spark plugs?...lol Your plug change should take 10 minutes topps. If you changed your wires, you still went way out of your way!
any ideas?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

While you did'nt have to take off the fuel rails or fuel pump, I'm sure it gave you better acces to the plugs.

It sounds to me like one of your plugs on the left side *im guessing passenger if youre facing the car* is not in securely, and you're hearing air escaping around the threads of the plug.

The clicking that I had eventually led to a blown out plug, a helicoil, *and as of a few minutes ago, maybe something potentially worse*

Take the 4 plugs out *do it with everything in place, just have to work around the rails, the coilons will bend under the rails* and then put them back in and make sure to be inserting them correctly, and to the right pressure.
what happend?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 97targa

ORIGINAL: HuntMarsh

You went through all of that just to change your spark plugs?...lol Your plug change should take 10 minutes topps. If you changed your wires, you still went way out of your way!
any ideas?
Boy that sure is a lot of information that you helped him out with there....
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
HARFORD
2nd Gear Member

did you put your plugs back in the right order? cars sometimes sound like what you explained if there timing is off and since it started afterwards you may have switched a plug somewhere. it should be in your manual the order
Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

EH, im not sure chaning a plug, and putting them back in any particular order would affect much.

I take mine out and put them back in and what not every now and then.

Retry the plugs
Old 10-08-2007, 03:00 PM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

Did you gap the plugs correctly? You need to check the gaps on all the plugs! Dont just assume they are all the same or are alright if they say they are pregapped.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 02STALKERGT

Did you gap the plugs correctly? You need to check the gaps on all the plugs! Dont just assume they are all the same or are alright if they say they are pregapped.
+1

Quick Reply: whatd i do wrong? clicking 4.6