4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shocks/struts (ride quality)

Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Default shocks/struts (ride quality)

Well... Only suspension stuff I have done is the Eibach Pro-Kit.

My ride quality is very poor... stiff and squeeky to be specific. Im assuming everything under there from shocks to struts and everything is how it came out of the factory... What all do I need to replace other then the shocks/struts... I found the billstein package on american muscle for front struts and rear shocks... are those good quality?

Im not wanting to spend over $1000... but I dont want to get what I pay for if you know what I mean... I want a decent ride quality with little to no squeeks.

Any information would help me out alot. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:10 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default RE: shocks/struts (ride quality)

Blistein is a top quality brand, if you want to save some money u can just get some kyb adjustables, shocks, struts, and even the rear axle dampners
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ive been told to buy kyb adjustables
Old 10-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

What are rear axle dampners?

Is there anything other then the shocks and struts im going to need to replace to help out with the ride/noises?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

What are rear axle dampners?

Is there anything other then the shocks and struts im going to need to replace to help out with the ride/noises?
Save your money on the rear dampeners. Put the money towards LCA's (lower control arms) You can remove your dampeners once you put lca's on! They are the shocks that are really close to your rear tires. They are almost sideways.
I bought KYB nonm-adjustables and love them. Ride quality is solid. I hate adjusting things and they were half the money! My friend has the adj's and I cannot tell the diff as he has them a little more towards stiffer ( prob what they set mine from the factory, and what you'll prob set them at anyways). I paid $220 shipped for all four tires
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah, the squeak is the bushings in the rear. Get some Lower Control Arms and eliminate the squeak and wheel hop at the same time! As for shocks, I guess you can't beat $220 for the whole setup. I got the '01 Bullit kit for $400. It came with Tokiko Shocks, Struts, Ford lowering springs and swaybars. I love my setup. It doesn't improve ride quality, but none of them will. It will make your car handle better but will feel every bump and divit in the road.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I went with the KYB adjustables... no complaints, and it's fun to mess around with the settings, you can really tell the difference from one setting to the next.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

I have steeda sport springs, steeda LCA, subframe connecters and tokico 5 way adj illuminas..... I have it set stiff and I definetly feel the bumps in the road but I feel a lot more confident driving it around bends on the highway and not worrying about the ***-end of the car getting away from me....

my $.02
Old 10-10-2007, 05:48 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

KYB AGX FTW! I love mine. I ride them on the hardest settings and it rides like hell, but it handles amazingly better than stock. When I set them to 1 they feel like a buick... until I actually get into my buick and remember what it feels like.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Sean 92 Notch
1st Gear Member

I would go with the Bilsteins. Everyone I know (mustang, supra, mercedes, Porsche) that upgrades their shocks/struts go with them. And they come stock on 03 Cobras. The Bilstien HD's have a nice ride quality, but also give you wayamazing handling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shocks/struts (ride quality)