4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best heads for the $$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Best heads for the $$$

Christmas is coming up and me and my brothers have decided to get my dad a H/C/I combo. Since I am the oldest I automatically got the heads as my gift to him so I was wondering. What is the best heads for the money if I want the car to be putting about 300hp to the wheels? I know that the heads and cams and intake all work together but for just the heads what would be the best set to get about that power to the wheels with a good matching set of cams and an intake. He uses this car as a daily driver so a crazy set like the AFRs 205 are out of the question, he wants to keep this thing streetable.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best heads for the $$$

Patriot Stage 2 heads are nice and say, Stage 2 N/A Comp Cams will do the trick to 300-/+ hp. Also you should throw in some beehive valve springs too. For Stage 1 cams you dont really need em, but for Stage 2 I'd definitely install the beehive valve springs.

Edit: This is assuming your dad has a 99-04 GT. I just took a wild guess that he has a 99-04 GT. If he doesnt, then oh well haha.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I have read somewhere, I think VT's website, that with Compcams Stage II camshafts, you need notched pistons for valve clearance. So if that is at true, stay away from those, otherwise your building a motor....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:34 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

I could be wrong but I do not think that is the case. I'm pretty sure I met a guy with Stage 2's with regular pistons at the track but I'm not really sure I cant remember exactly what he had. Oh and he had aftermarket heads.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

Patriot Stage 2 heads are nice and say, Stage 2 N/A Comp Cams will do the trick to 300-/+ hp. Also you should throw in some beehive valve springs too. For Stage 1 cams you dont really need em, but for Stage 2 I'd definitely install the beehive valve springs.

Edit: This is assuming your dad has a 99-04 GT. I just took a wild guess that he has a 99-04 GT. If he doesnt, then oh well haha.
His car is a 02, so you are correct. Why do you suggest installing the springs? Doesn't the patriots come assembled? If at all possible I would like to stay away from cracking open a set of assembled heads. While I can do the head and cam swap on my own I think going into the heads would require some guidence from my father and since this is a present I would like to avoid that.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Edit: Yes the valve springs that come with the Stage 2 Patriots are good up to .600 lift, which will be good enough for Stage 2 cams.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

I have read somewhere, I think VT's website, that with Compcams Stage II camshafts, you need notched pistons for valve clearance. So if that is at true, stay away from those, otherwise your building a motor....
I think that is because they throw in extra timing into the cam. You can either notch your pistons, or take some timing out with an aftermarket set of adjustable timing gears. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that is the case. I'm sure someone else can chime in.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Comp Cams Stage 2 Billet camshafts 99-04
Our Favorite, awesome sounding idle, great power increase, raised redline, computer tuning recommmended for peak performance but not required. 3.55+ gears recommended, Valve springs required, must use notched pistons for valve clearance.

That is cut straight from www.modularmustangracing.com. Now about the retarding the timing, IDK, someone else can chime in on that and maybe they could work. But why have the guess work, just get VT stage II's, a lot of people have those cams and heads and I have heard pretty good things about em.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Okay well it seems that 300whp is going to require some work that I can't do by myself, so how about 300 crank hp. I am really just looking to get him a H/C/I combo that I can bolt on for him and give a good increase in power.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

I take it you've ruled out f/i?

Quick Reply: Best heads for the $$$