4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spec Clutch Squeaking. Why?? (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default Spec Clutch Squeaking. Why?? (updated)

I've had my Stage 3 clutch in for under a week now and it is squeaking whenever the clutch is fully engaged. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the squeak goes a way. When the pedal is all the way out and the clutch is fully engaged, it will squeak non stop. It is just incessant! I can push the clutch pedal in every so slightly when I'm driving and the sound goes away, leading me to believe the problem is in the beginning of the clutch travel. Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:20 AM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Spec Clutch Squeaking. Why??

I have the same problem with my Spec Stage 3. Its probably either the throwout bearing making noise, or I think mine could be my flywheel is touching its backing plate. It sounds weird but I looked through a hole in it and I can see an area that looks freshly scraped on the backside of the flywheel. I pryedthe backing plateback carefully a couple months ago with a big screwdriver and it went away but its back again. I may need to shim it away from the flywheel with a couple washers.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:37 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

So this seriously wont go away? I need to do something because I HATE squeaks and random noises in my car. How long have you had the problem?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the TOB. Did you use the spec one that came with your clutch?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:06 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I did. I didn't knw about the problem when it was put on; only after. That is what I was thinking it could be, but hoping not. The thing is brand new, though. How could the TOB go already?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
02STALKERGT
2nd Gear Member

My throwout bearing was bad thats why I did the clutch even though the clutch was fine. After I bought it I heard that Spec throwout bearings are junk as well as the stock ones too. I hadnot smoothengagement and squeeking throwout when replacing it. Its still smooth nowbut itssqueeking.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

So what you're saying is when you first got it the clutch wasn't smooth and it squeaked? Then the clutch became smooth but the squeak stayed around, is that right? That's kind of where I'm at right now. I've been told a couple times that the break in is rough, and it is! This clutch is going to tear my tranny up before it's broken in! But I don't want to deal with it squeaking every day that I drive it. I can't stand that.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

The spec bearings have a reputation for being junk, but some people have luck with them. It sounds like the TOB is the problem. You can remove the cover on the trans where the clutch cable hooks to the fork and try to get some heavy duty high temp grease on the shaft and the TOB.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
ronsfun96gt
1st Gear Member

I just put a spec 1 in my 96 gt. It chatters like h... I called spec they said it takes 500 miles for breakin. Its been 500 miles now and the chatter is better, but not gone. As for the TOB, mine broke while putting it on the fork arm.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch Squeaking. Why?? (updated)