4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gauge cluster question???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Mineralrob
2nd Gear Member

Default Gauge cluster question???

I've a friend who was looking at buying roush gauge cluster. He found a couple on ebay but what i'm trying to figure out is, if you get one with higher miles than your car will the ecu automically reset it or will he have to find one with similar miles to his?? I've been told that if his car has 20,000 miles and he buys a cluster with 50,000 miles it will read 50k.??Anyone know for sure. Thanks[/align]
Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gauge cluster question???

I don't think so. All the clusters I've replaced don't hold mileage, they just display what the computer has in it. Could be different with Ford's, though. I've only replaced GM ones.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
YotaMaster

You want to watch installing a new cluster. The Stang's have a chip in the key that matches the ignition as well as the cluster. If any one of these three do not match the car will not start. Usually with a cluster that is set already you would have to go to Ford to have it programed. These were the things I was told when trying to swap one out, don't know how accurate that is as I wound up going with a white face kit instead of a full replacement, but my first attmept to put a different cluster in failed with the above issue.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Fobra
Banned

no, you switch the computer out when you install the new cluster, you will be fine

I have one - its great - BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL with the circuit board!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ok, i bought my roush cluster used off ebay as well. it had 10,--- some miles on it. When i installed it into my 03 GT, it retained the milage that was on the cluster, 10,--- something. Also when i installed it all the lights and stuff work, the car just didnt start. I had to take it to the ford dealership and have them redue the computer and keys. Cost me like $75 bucks for the vist. Overall I love them though. If this looks like what your getting, you might have to do the same thing i did. I hope my pics work.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
davidsv8mustang
3rd Gear Member

Here we go, this were the pics that they posted on ebay when i bought the cluster
Old 10-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Mineralrob
2nd Gear Member

So he will've to go to the dealer to get it programmed or it wont work i'm assuming?? And it will state the mileage thats on it which means it will've to be reprogrammed?? Just making sure. Thanks for all of the input.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

I know this is unrelated, but it still has to do with the guage clusters. does anyone know if you can change the bulbs in the cluster to make the stock green or teal (depending on year) guages a different color? Or is that just crazy talk.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Fobra
Banned

yes you can change the bulbs out.. and i hope you didnt pay alot for those gauages boss, those are not the "roush performance" upgraded ones - just giving you a heads up
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

do you have any idea how to or how hard the color swap is. I can't seem to find anyone who has actually done it.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster question???