4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EGR DELETE PEOPLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 PM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default EGR DELETE PEOPLE!!!

when doing the delete... what did you do with the vaccum lines for the egr and what did you do with that thing that has a plug going to it that had stuff off the egr tube going to it?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 AM
ninelives19821
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: EGR DELETE PEOPLE!!!

I put plugs in the vaccum going to the egr and bundled them in a clamp. I removed the egr unit all together along with the tube that goes to the exhaust manifold to the intake plenum. I make a plate to cover where the tube went onto the plenum and put a plug on the exhaust manifold. I will post some pics when i get off work tommorow.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

What is the purpose for the EGR delete?Not trying to jack your thread..
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Really, whats the purpose of this? I under stand on a DSM but not a mustang.... Race aplication only for high compression and then it's not even doing a lot except keeping the bay cleaner....
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Just found this post by member "SAP" here's his quote

Actually I have read multiple articles (such as this one :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation) that infer its probably not a good idea to mess with the EGR System.

"Although EGR does measurably slow combustion, this can largely be compensated for by advancing spark timing. Contrary to popular belief, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms: [ul][*]Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two.[/ul] It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via a few more mechanisms: [ul][*]Reduced intake charge density. EGR tends to heat the intake charge. This means a bigger piston or stroke must be used to induct the same amount of fuel and air mixture. This results in a bigger and heavier engine.[/ul] [ul][*]Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.
[/ul]
Old 10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea... and for me its easier to do the egr delete then try and fit it and the pipe under my P-51. lol. and beeing boosted with spray it will be nicer with alittle cooler intake charge. so do i just let the plug hang around for that sensor that the egr tube had 2 lines going to? or do i need to plug it back in?

i am putting a cap on the header and i have a plate on the manifold already.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I cut the vacum lines and pluged them and hid them away. The only reason to delete the egr is if you break the tube during longtube install [:@].

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

I like the idea of a pcv catch can and the egr delete, keeps everything a little cleaner I would think
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I know you can buy a kit that has all the components need to delete the system, I just can't remember where.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

http://forums.modulardepot.com/modul...lete-kits.html

Quick Reply: EGR DELETE PEOPLE!!!