4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what to do at next service

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 AM
kazandlee
1st Gear Member

Default what to do at next service

Hi,
My 2002 gt vert manual is up for its next service in Feb next year, i already change th oil and filter every 6 months, in has 19k and i only do about 3k per year, what should i be thinking of doing at next service.
Thanks.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what to do at next service

#1. Buy a Haynes manual.
That way you can do some or all of the work yourself.
You'll be checking just about everything.
Coolant,after six years it needs to be flushed and refilled.
Brake fluid,same as the above.If it's anything but clear it needs replaced.
Power steering fluid.
Rotate tires.
Check the battery.
Inspect the underhood hoses.
Fuel filter.
Steering and suspension parts,bushings,joints,shocks,etc.
Transmission lube level.consider changing it to a synthetic.
Rear axle lube level.same as above.
Spark plugs.
PCV valve.

I would get a can of spray carb cleaner and give the intake system a good drowning.You can do this by pulling off the hose going into the IAC valve and sticking the little straw on the side of the cleaner can into the hose and pushing it back on the IAC.Hook the straw to the spray can,start the engine,let it warm up to operating temp,and spray away.Keep the rev's up so the engine doesn't stall but not so high the IAC doesn't have to help out.(around 1,200 rpm)
This will clean the IAC,intake runners,and the backs of the intake valves.It'll also make gobs of thick,white smoke so do this sometime when you can get maximum effect.Runa couple of cans through the engine like this and add a couple of cans of Seafoam to about a quarter tank of gas and run it till it's almost empty.This gives you a good concentration of cleaner BUT,,,Seafoam is only about 40 octane so no hot rodding until you refill with a tank of regular.Wait until this has been done to change the fuel filter since there's no reason to put a new filter into a dirty system.Since winter is coming on I'd add some dry gas to the mix also.
Ther are other obvious things like air filters and such but I figure if you are smart enough to come onto these boards and ask questions,you already knew about 'em.