4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Check Fuel Cap Light On!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Blowby01GT
1st Gear Member

Default Check Fuel Cap Light On!!!

Hey guys, my 01 GT had some problems last week i started it up and noticed fuel started pouring out of the bottom of her, and when I popped the hood I noticed the O ring on one of my injectors was bad so i change the O ring and pushed the injector back in and drove around no fuel no where to be found after I did this but I did smell gas, i was thinking it was just where it had already sprayed on the manifold, and i kept smelling it for about 2 days. and last night my Check Fuel cap light has illuminated! Can anyone help me! I need help bad![:'(]
Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Check Fuel Cap Light On!!!

Did you check the fuel cap?

Alright seriously....easy things to check, other injectors, fuel filler neck, fuel filter, pull codes. I would probably pull codes first and foremost. Though the cap light came on, maybe it is for soemthing related and not exactly the cap. Check everything easy first.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: joeybutts

Did you check the fuel cap?

Alright seriously....easy things to check, other injectors, fuel filler neck, fuel filter, pull codes. I would probably pull codes first and foremost. Though the cap light came on, maybe it is for soemthing related and not exactly the cap. Check everything easy first.
+1 pull your codes first and find out exactly whats going on.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Blowby01GT
1st Gear Member

do I need one of the a hand held computer tool to find out the trouble codes? Everything is on tight so i kno its not the fuel cap!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

You should be able to take it by your local autoparts store (autozone, advanced, oreilly, etc...) and they will pull them and tell you what they are.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I had the grommet between the filler neck and fuel tank start leaking and it never had a MIL.So it could be the filler neck is loose.You'll be able to see the gas leak from under the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

EVAP system problem? Buildup of fumes that leak all around the car... it's possible.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:36 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

I had the grommet between the filler neck and fuel tank start leaking and it never had a MIL.So it could be the filler neck is loose.You'll be able to see the gas leak from under the car.
thats what i was thinking, so +1 haha
Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

EVAP system problem? Buildup of fumes that leak all around the car... it's possible.
i think i had this problem with my car, how can i fix it?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM
DesertMach
2nd Gear Member

Very rarely my check fuel cap will come on for a day then go away, I never did figure out what was cuasing it. Usually it would happen after i fill the tank, then later that same day the light would come on and I would go check the cap and the fuel door, but the light would stay on, the following day the light would be gone. this has not happened in a long time now but its baffling when it does.

Quick Reply: Check Fuel Cap Light On!!!