4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trying to fix before the cold....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Default Trying to fix before the cold....

Seems I'm getting closer to fixing all this !@#$%....

Well, for awhile now, I would hear a small rattling noise coming from what seemed like the rear pass tire well. Replaced all the hangers, etc. The noise seemed to stop for a little bit, but would gradually get worse and come back.

I also started smelling gas, under hard acceleration and when I shut off my car. I checked my gas cap and it was sealing properly. I thought these 2 things could be related, so today I basically tore my car apart to find wtf was going on (had to take out the rear mach 460 amps and speakers anyway).

Upon further inspection of the underside of my car, I found that the driver side tailpipe (the part that bends over the axle), was not near ANYTHING. I noted that, because I have never heard this rattle from the driver side. Passenger side, however....

Has MUCH more going on. Seems like a steel beam that goes aways along that side of the car, along with all the other pipes and stuff. I found out that, the tailpipe (again, where it goes over the axle), was VERY close to that steel beam, close enough where I could barely fit a flathead through it.

And whada ya know, the pipe has a little play with it. I think I found my rattling problem.

However, when I opened my trunk, I smelled ALLOT of gas. I pulled over the plastic piece right behind the pass taillight, and saw what looked like some sort of gasket kind of sticking out where the neck down to the gas tank is. Only one side wasn't flush, the other side was (looked like it was outlined with foam or something). I smelt the gas really bad at this point, and could conclude that the gas leak that had been throwing me a code P0442 for the past month was coming from this spot.

Satisfied that I finally found out what was going, I put my car back together, however, removing the jack and jackstand from under the car, I noticed the clamp between the stock H-pipe and mainfold dripping. Uh-oh.

What I'm really trying to ask is, is there any part of this I can do with a really crappy jack and jackstands, or should I just take it to a shop, and get everything fixed at once (and how much about do you think that would be?)
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to fix before the cold....

fix it yourself, I do not know what is leaking on your tank. Could be the rubber grommet, or maybe the filler pipe is messed up. What clamp are you talking about? Nothing should be dripping there.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Its not really a clamp, just the part that connects the h-pipe to the manifolds, I've never seen that leaking before though.

And to adjust the tailpipe, do I just undo all 3 clamps, than loosen the part that connects it to the h-pipe, then re-tighten?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

To adjust the tailpipe, just loosen where it connects to the h-pipe and adjust then retighten. I know what you are talking about though with that steel beam and your exhaust pipe. Get this...i jacked up my car to hack off my tail pipes to dump my SLP's till i got my o/r h. Well my driverside tailpipe actully dug a notch out of that steel beam and it was resting on the little curve it dug out haha.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Good to now. Although the jack and stands I have are quite shoddy, might have to figure out a way to keep it WELL in the air.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ultimeas

Its not really a clamp, just the part that connects the h-pipe to the manifolds, I've never seen that leaking before though.

And to adjust the tailpipe, do I just undo all 3 clamps, than loosen the part that connects it to the h-pipe, then re-tighten?
Eh, water seeping out means exhaust can get out. Can you hear an exhaust leak? Driver's side or passenger side?

If you're going to attempt to repair this, BUY NEW EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUDS! They're only good for two removals... plus for the few bucks it costs, it's cheap insurance from having to go out to a Ford dealership to pick some up while your car is in pieces. Just replace them while you're there.

A leak on the passenger side will require a new gasket... a leak on the driver's side will simply require new studs.