4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is wrong with this disc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Blacksunshine98

Default What is wrong with this disc?

Noticed this a few days ago. This is the rear disc and it appeared after having my differential replaced.

[IMG]local://upfiles/77456/CE5BFC472E50401983005D3B9499C8BF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What is wrong with this disc?

how does it look on the other side of the rotor?
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

odd....I wonder why the caliper would only push the top part of the pad on the rotor. Unless they put jacked up pads back in there(I doubt it) or your caliper mounting bracket is misaligned...IDK
Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i would take back to the place that did the install, looks like something is out of whack
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Blacksunshine98

Yeah something is definitely not right. I have also been getting some strange rattle from the back quarter panel area right over the wheel that has this problem. Had a coworker sit back there on the way to lunch and everytime we went over a rough patch of road it made a rattling sound.

Don't know if the two are related since rattles are quite common in our cars, but the rattle didn't start until shortly after the differential was changed.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They probably swapped the inner and outer pads when they reassembled it, or the outer pad is cocked in the caliper, or worst case they mixed up the whole lot and just tossed it back together--in any event you're only getting 50% or lees braking capacity on that wheel...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Uhh, there's a difference between pads? I didn't see that when I did my or my brother's front brakes. Is there really a difference and how can I tell which is which?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Uhh, there's a difference between pads? I didn't see that when I did my or my brother's front brakes. Is there really a difference and how can I tell which is which?
There is a difference after they have been put on the car and created their own wear pattern.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

[/align][/align]There's no difference at all if the pads are new--however if while changing the rear end gears they did not put worn, used, pads back into the original positions there's a good chance theywill behave as shown in the photo...[/align] [/align][/align]As other have indicated the pads wear differently, on a typical single or dual "same-side" piston caliper the inside (active) pads will wear quite differently from the outside (passive) pads--this is due to natural differences in the loading patterns and flexure in the caliper and mounting bracket...[/align]
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

no diff in new pads but the used ones need to go back on where they were.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with this disc?