4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NPI or PI heads?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 AM
m16a2r

Default RE: NPI or PI heads?

is it too hard to do?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

That completely depends on how mechanically inclined you are. It is next to nothing if you know somewhat what you are doing, either 11 or 14 bolts to remove on one side, pop it off (make sure you havent driven for a bit so all the oil is drained out of the head) and check for the PI stamp. The hardest part is getting all of the crap out of the way.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

Romeo Valve covers (96-98 or 01-04) , the oil cap is on the right side where as the windsor is on the left next to the intake (99-00 usually)

so theres a chance he has pi cams. just pop the valve cover to find out...

and i was basing the fact that he was able to "smoke" a wrx that has 227hp where as a stock NPI is 215 that weighs more.... soo.. i figured that if he really did "smoke" them and they were really racing / goign at it, he has more than the WRX.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jEEd

Romeo Valve covers (96-98 or 01-04) , the oil cap is on the right side where as the windsor is on the left next to the intake (99-00 usually)

and i was basing the fact that he was able to "smoke" a wrx that has 227hp where as a stock NPI is 215 that weighs more.... soo.. i figured that if he really did "smoke" them and they were really racing / goign at it, he has more than the WRX.
True, however we have already established he atleast has a Bullit Intake, which is huge considering the Intake is the true weak link of the NPI engine. That restores to him a usable power band, as well as probably 20 rwhp (considering a stock PI Intake is good for about 15). That would be enough to take a WRX alone. I am betting he has the full swap though- why would someone drop 800 on a bullit intake, and not do the full swap?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:41 AM
m16a2r

Ive heard his engine reving like crazy, I didnt even knew he wanted to rase till Ive heard his engine, so I even gave him head start and still smoked him.
Yeah tomorrow Ill try to take that cover off. Just in case if I will not be able to, is there a way to find out just by looking at the RPM or maybe I can time my 0-60 or something?
Thank you for all your responses by the way.
And one more thing, Ive called the dealership that sold me a car, asked what have been done to it, all I got from them is that I got:
K&N filter, bullitt intake, x pipes, high flow flowmasters. But they didnt mentioned nothing about brakes (which are not stock once), also car has been lovered, has short shifter and God knows what else.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: m16a2r

Ive heard his engine reving like crazy, I didnt even knew he wanted to rase till Ive heard his engine, so I even gave him head start and still smoked him.
Yeah tomorrow Ill try to take that cover off. Just in case if I will not be able to, is there a way to find out just by looking at the RPM or maybe I can time my 0-60 or something?
Thank you for all your responses by the way.
Do you run 93 octane? If you have a PI swap, you would not be able to run 87, you would ping due to the compression jump.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 AM
jEEd
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Zanador

ORIGINAL: jEEd

True, however we have already established he atleast has a Bullit Intake, which is huge considering the Intake is the true weak link of the NPI engine. That restores to him a usable power band, as well as probably 20 rwhp (considering a stock PI Intake is good for about 15). That would be enough to take a WRX alone. I am betting he has the full swap though- why would someone drop 800 on a bullit intake, and not do the full swap?
exactly what i was saying but....

most people that own a WRX dont keep them stock... they usually have a Turbo Back exhaust (catless), Intake, Turbo Timer, Boost Controller, & obviously turned up the boost... and other random stuff... like the water injection to the intercooler.. etc..
Old 10-25-2007, 01:49 AM
m16a2r

No I run regular gas, did not have any problems while running on 87
PS also when I was changing my brakes, guy who works there told me that I have a some sort of performance cluch (he drove my car). Dont know how he figured.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:52 AM
m16a2r

Hey Jeed, you live in California right? Do u know any good places where I can take my mustang so they can check it out for me?

I live in LA area.

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:57 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, if you want to know that badly, strap your car onto a Dyno and have a few pulls done. You will find out real quick what you have done to the car then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NPI or PI heads?